How to get chickens to return to coop after free ranging

My chic's are going to be 1 month old this coming Monday. I have had them in there outside coop for the passed 4 days. I take them out for an hour or so after the 3 day of them being in their coop all day and night. Today I had them all out, and I put one back in the coop and she came out on her own. I was thinking to myself, the reason why there not going back in is because the sun is still out. I keep their food and water in the coop and only water outside in the pen, in case they want something to drink while they are outside. I am leaving there door open to see if they go in and out on their own. I have a friend that tells me to use crack corn. i am going to try that next.

I'm happy to say that as of Wednesday morning my girls have been going in and out of there coop all on there own. I got up on Wednesday to check on them and they were all outside. Then as soon as it started getting dark, back they went.

I went to check on my girls tonight to make sure they were in for the night and I found them all under the ramp to their coop. Why did they not go inside for the night. I watched them going in and out to eat and drink, so why did they not go in for the night....

Ok so I've been reading a lot of post and I've taken the idea of putting a light on in the girls coop, on a timer, and it's on from 4pm to 10pm, to give the chics time to get there butts in their coop before dark, and guess what.....IT WORKED. i went outside at 8 to hang out with the girls then I left them alone and at 9pm I went to check on them and they were all nicely tucked in there coop. all by themselves... fantastic.

I have 7 four month old chickens who have been free ranging. I have what I call a roaming coop they stay in that I move around the yard & they normally return at dusk. The past 2 days however, they have been roosting in the woodline. They come out & free range in the yard during the day but I'm not sure how to get them to return to their coop at dusk...even cracked corn doesn't work

Back
Top Bottom