How To Get Chickens To Stop Pecking Another Chicken?

Mentholatum would probably offend the pecking chicken and hopefully stop it. I recommended Vicks because it has ingredients for healing qualities as well. My cucko maran had feathers pecked off and an open wound on its back. The culprit pecker stopped and the wound healed within a week. Hope this helps. I wish you well.

I'm the new chicken momma in town and I'm feeling very defeated lately in regards to helping my two Ameraucanas and I read this thread and learned about Vics and will be trying that but here's my situation.

I have two RI Reds that peck and bully my two Ameraucanas. My Ameraucana Liberty is the shy girl and she's getting pecked but it's not as bad as my other Ameraucana, Gerdy. I've picked up Liberty and as I'm petting her a lot of her downy feathers were just falling off of her including all of her tail feathers! (She looks ridiculous with no tail feathers) Is this molting? Gerdy is missing her back feathers and half her tail as well as all the feathers around her vent. I've put Peck-No-More on them a few times (and maybe not enough times?) but this morning I literally gasped at the sight of her back end. She is bleeding down both sides of her tail. I'm unable to catch her until later tonight because she's that fast and very skiddish.

I've read to separate them from the bullies, but the only place we can put them to separate them is in the basement. I have no problems putting them in the basement, my BIG questions is will it hurt them since my basement is around 60 degrees (because the furnace is warm) and outside is around 15 degrees. Will I need to keep them inside all winter because they will be effected by such a temperature change if I let them out to roam?

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
I'm the new chicken momma in town and I'm feeling very defeated lately in regards to helping my two Ameraucanas and I read this thread and learned about Vics and will be trying that but here's my situation.

I have two RI Reds that peck and bully my two Ameraucanas.  My Ameraucana Liberty is the shy girl and she's getting pecked but it's not as bad as my other Ameraucana, Gerdy.  I've picked up Liberty and as I'm petting her a lot of her downy feathers were just falling off of her including all of her tail feathers! (She looks ridiculous with no tail feathers) Is this molting? Gerdy is missing her back feathers and half her tail as well as all the feathers around her vent.  I've put Peck-No-More on them a few times (and maybe not enough times?) but this morning I literally gasped at the sight of her back end.  She is bleeding down both sides of her tail.  I'm unable to catch her until later tonight because she's that fast and very skiddish.

I've read to separate them from the bullies, but the only place we can put them to separate them is in the basement. I have no problems putting them in the basement, my BIG questions is will it hurt them since my basement is around 60 degrees (because the furnace is warm) and outside is around 15 degrees. Will I need to keep them inside all winter because they will be effected by such a temperature change if I let them out to roam?

PLEASE HELP!

Put them in peepers for a while..

I have 3 young hens about 4 months old that get picked on by 2 old hens after reading this about the vapor rub I went out tried it. my young hens are not sore in any way but I rubbed the vapor rub on their backs and they are not picked on now.

I have used the Vicks and has helped stop the pecking, I also found a generic brand at Dollar Store that has the same ingredients and can get 2 for a dollar. I get peroxide, rubbing alcohol, bandage tape, and other supplies there too. With animals can always have a supply of some emergency first aid products that aren't horribly expensive.

I too am having a pecking issue. I have 5 hens, all in a very large coop and pen. It started over the summer when they began laying. I figured out that the nesting boxes were too open and fixed that. Once I did, the pecking stopped. Now I've noticed the last few days that some of my hens are missing their feathers around their vents and their back feathers are disheveled. I thought first it might be mites or lice or molting. When I came home from work today, my leghorn's (the bottom of the pecking order girl) head was covered in blood! Then I noticed all the other chickens had a bit of blood on their beaks. I immediately took her inside and gave her a warm bath to wash off the blood and put neosporin on her wounds. They had pecked at her wattles and comb very badly. When I went in the coop after dark to inspect the other girls, I did not notice any mites or lice. I did see though that some of them seem to have been picked on badly - except for my head hen!! Not a wound on her or a missing feather. I'm guessing she is the culprit. My leghorn is now sleeping in a cage in our basement and I think I may have to take the day off tomorrow to tend to her and figure out what to do with the others.

I had 20 hens and they started picking on "Henrietta" one night.She was mistreated by her previous owner and very sickly when we got her. We had recuperated her and she was finally acting normal, then one morning we went out and found her dead and eaten through.
hit.gif
I had to clip their beaks because they were starting to do the same with "Jessie"(she literally had a hole in her side, and they ate through her skin and some of the meat. I was not sure if she would make it, but she did.). I did not have to clip their beaks again until we got our ducks, then we had to in order to protect the ducks. after their beaks were clipped they stopped picking on each other.
thumbsup.gif

Hi, sorry to hear about your Ameracunas. If they are not a year old this fall, then they should not be moulting. Most pecking occurs at night on the roost. If you can go in and separate them, even in a box overnight for awhile, that might help. Put Vicks on them in the morning. If pecking is during the day, then they must not have room to escape depending on size of cage. I assume you are not free ranging or they could get away. Ultimately they should find their pecking order and severe pecking stop. If not, you will need to make a decision on your flock. The severity of the wounds requires medication and Vicks is excellent for the price plus it stays on longer. Old labeling on Vicks identified a lot more herbal type ingredients which aides in healing. Today's label is basic IMHOpinion but the same age old product. I wish you well for Christmas and New Year's.

I have 8 chickens in one large coop with plenty of room to run. When I got them from an older man one of them had feathers missing on back. We separated the one being picked on and now is doing great. Now the one Rhode Island Red that picked on her is picking on the others. One has deep wound to side that had major bleeding. She is still eating, laying. What do I do? Should I use the Vicks Vapor rub that I have seen suggested on all of them she is pecking on? I don't want to get rid of any I have grown to be attached to them all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom