1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to get ducks to eat?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JoshSnape, Oct 15, 2009.

1. JoshSnape

JoshSnape Chillin' With My Peeps

I have just bought 3 khaki campbells, 1 drake and 2 ducks. But am worried that they might not be eatting much. Have seen one eat but none of the others. I got them from the east of england autumn show, the amout of food in the trough i have has hardly lowered since i got them. how can i get then to eat food and grit. thanks.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Hi, what sort of area do they have to be in?

Ducks love a water area like a small pond or pool.

Do they have a lot of walk around space? If they are in a small area, and not active, then they won't eat much.

What are you feeding them? Do you know what they were fed before. I'm thinking that they are like chickens and do not so easily switch foods.

If they were given a wide span of area, they may be more accustomed to grazing.

Hope this helps and have a blessed day.

3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Ducks do a lot better if they have water close to their food. The things bargain said are also true. One nice thing is that small ducks like them do not eat much at all. They will do a lot more bug catching and grazing if at all possible.

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

[​IMG] JoshSnape!

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Ducks often go "off their feed" with major changes to their life. Once they get used to their new setting (and new ration?) they should come around.

Is that some type of 'ducky door' in their hut that I can see in the background? or do you have to open and close it for them?

6. JoshSnape

They have a big run which has a pond in it, their food is situated next to the water. I do not know what they were fed before. But they are being fed grower/feeder pellets. They are in a omlet while we are not their but then they have full run of the garden. Sometimes feed them mealworms and corn as a treat. Thanks keep bringing the advise.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Do you have access to any duck weed? My Khaki Campbell goes crazy when I drop a dollop of duck weed in his water dish. More so than the others. (Rouen and Pekin)

8. JoshSnape

No, but i can try and get some.[​IMG] thanks keep bringing the advise

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine go insane for a handful of dogfood. Honestly though, take away their food at night, and then in the morning, see if they're starving... mine always are first thing...

10. JoshSnape

Hi, Do i need to be adding water to the grower/finisher pellets or do i give them dry.[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by