How to get ducks to lay

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by furbabymum, Sep 22, 2016.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    6 ducks. 1 year old. Stopped laying while trying to hatch eggs. Been 3 months since that occurred and I am lucky to get 1 egg every 4 days. I did consider that they were laying eggs in the pond. Haven't found any hidden nests. No environmental changes. I will admit that I feed the birds just enough to keep them alive. I expect them to go out finding anything else they need. I see them around. Been doing this a few years and they're still alive and kicking. So, feed them more and see if anything changes or is there some other way to get those women to get to it.

2. cyriuskee

cyriuskee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA
    I feed my free range pekins twice per day good portions of layers feed. They lay where they feel their eggs will be safe, they like their privacy while laying. You could try a game cam to see if they're hiding them from you. I go egg hunting every morning and find them usually covered in pine needles in the woods usually under a tree.
    Make them fat & happy
    Good luck!

3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

My free range Muscovies just lay when they're good and ready to. It doesn't help that two are broody and insist on sitting on empty nests! We let these two hatch eggs earlier this summer, too. [​IMG] They're fed a high protein feed with free choice oyster shell, and there are plenty of bugs around. We just keep hoping they'll resume laying soon...of 4 laying-age ducks, we're getting 1 egg per day - we've gotten as many as 3-4 a day at other times.

4. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    Bar-Ale layer pellets with added oyster shell. Makes em lay like crazy.

5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Are they molting? It's the right time of year.

If the ducks are only getting enough feed to meet they personal needs they're not going to lay. Maybe they just aren't good at foraging or there isn't enough out there for them to get enough extra for eggs.

Depending on the breed they may be sesonal layers and are done for the year.

6. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Golden-300. Should be laying still.

No sign of molt so far.

I have 40 acres. I have a problem with grasshoppers this year. Lazy bones need to get to it.

7. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I'm feeding them more and food is laying wasted on the ground. That's it, time to think about eating them. ;) I kid, kind of.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    First of all, it can take a few months for them to start laying again after being broody. Secondly, with the shorter days, comes less daylight and fewer eggs. Thirdly, it's getting into molting season. All of those factors are likely contributing to your lack of eggs. They will start back up laying, once spring is on the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by