how to get grass to grow in the run?

This is the salad bar that I made a few weeks ago. The grass is starting to grow good... I'll have to take a pic of it once it fills out a little more. But it was very simple, and only took a few minutes to make. I used left over hardware cloth and some landscape timber, so it was also free for me
smile.png

Picture059.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Quote:
Where did you buy these pans and what did they cost?

I have been looking all over for something similar so I can turn over a paint bucket and make an auto waterer.

My husband bought those at Home Depot in the garden department..

Quote:
So is the hardware cloth stapled/nail down all the way around? Can you lift it to put in more see or do you just throw the seed in and let it go?

Is that all you put in is grass? I read one post on BYC some time ago that someone actually planted leaf lettuce and some other veggies for their chickies. But I don't know how something like that would grow with wire over top??

Well if I decided to make one it can't be very big, maybe 2'x2' there is just not enough run space. I am still wanting to do a small 2'x2' sand box as well but that I may just end placing near the ramp to the coop door. I wish we would have made our ramp smaller, its like 3' long and 16" wide (my dads idea).
idunno.gif

Quote:
Where did you buy these pans and what did they cost?

I have been looking all over for something similar so I can turn over a paint bucket and make an auto waterer.

My husband bought those at Home Depot in the garden department..

Are these like the ones they sell in the pet department for dogs to eat our of?? I wish I would have thought of that and a bucket.

Quote:
I do a very similar thing, but I grow wheat grass in dish pans that I get at the dollar store for my rabbits. Each hutch has three on top so that I can rotate them. Grows quick and easy and the critters love it!

Quote:
I do a very similar thing, but I grow wheat grass in dish pans that I get at the dollar store for my rabbits. Each hutch has three on top so that I can rotate them. Grows quick and easy and the critters love it!

Well I have a bunch of dish pans that I was using for another purpose and was trying to figure out what I could use them for besides growing our garden items in, I will do this so that way it doesn't take up a whole lot of room, might even use one for there dust bath.

Thanks for a recycle idea.

Just one question, where do I get this kind of grass seed??? I have a bag of grass seed for our lawn, but not sure what it is.

Quote:
So is the hardware cloth stapled/nail down all the way around? Can you lift it to put in more see or do you just throw the seed in and let it go?

Is that all you put in is grass? I read one post on BYC some time ago that someone actually planted leaf lettuce and some other veggies for their chickies. But I don't know how something like that would grow with wire over top??

Well if I decided to make one it can't be very big, maybe 2'x2' there is just not enough run space. I am still wanting to do a small 2'x2' sand box as well but that I may just end placing near the ramp to the coop door. I wish we would have made our ramp smaller, its like 3' long and 16" wide (my dads idea).
idunno.gif

The hardware cloth is nailed down all the way around. The whole thing is 2'x4' and it's made out of 4"x4" landscape posts. If I have to do any "gardening" in it, I can just lift it off the ground, it's just sitting on top of the ground. I can pick it up, but the chickens can't. I hope this answers your questions

If you have any nearby neighbors, you could ask them for their grass clippings (if they dont' treat their lawn). My chickens love grass clippings and so we always throw some in whenever my husband mows.

Why not buy some plastic trays, grow the grass seed in it and then put the trays in with the birds, if you get 5 or 6 trays you can possibly rotate them once bare.......

Last edited:
If you are looking to grow wheat grass just buy hard red wheat berries at your local health food store, online and sometimes feed stores have them. Soak for eight hours before planting. I plant them in peat moss. Just put a good covering of them down over a few inches of peat moss or potting soil and lightly cover. Easy breezy.

Back
Top Bottom