how to get hard eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickencoop789, Oct 16, 2013.

1. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I'm doing this project in school where you take an egg and put it in a capsule thing that you make and drop it off the roof of the school. If the egg isn't broken you get an A. You have to supply your own egg so I figured I could take advantage of my chickens and try to make them lay hard shelled eggs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make them lay hard eggs? Or how to make the egg survive the fall? I haven't been getting many eggs lately either. Does egg production drop when it gets cold outside?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Egg production does drop when it gets near winter because of the shorter daytime hours and light, which is why some chicken owners decide to put light in their coops during fall or winter. I prefer giving my hens a rest from laying in the winter.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  3. boyswillbeboys

boyswillbeboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    I don't know about making the shell harder, make sure there is a good amount of calcium in their diet, because that is what makes the shell hard.

My boys did this in kndergarten, no grade, I helped my second son, we put the egg in a box, padded with polyfill, then taped styrofoam around the box, and made legs to cushion the impact, and the egg survived.

4. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I did that in 5th grade. Got an A. Remember, the egg doesn't break in the fall, it breaks in the landing. I had the egg suspended in a sling that was hooked to each end of the box. it had enough room to move around without hitting the edge. Imagine a bungee jumping egg. That's what you're going for.

5. flockanuts

flockanuts Chillin' With My Peeps

how to get hard eggs? Boil them longer???? :lau :p ;) :lol:

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your project isn't about how hard the egg shell is, it's about cushioning the egg.

7. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I know but if it's hard then it won't break as easily. So if the egg hits the ground it has a better chance of surviving.

8. GuineaMama

GuineaMama Out Of The Brooder

Do the rules specify that it has to be a chicken egg? Have you thought about using a Guinea egg? Their shells are a lot tougher to break than a chicken egg.

A guy I bought hay from once was telling me his daughter had to do this same project. She used a Guinea egg and it didn't break. She got and A.

9. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    It doesn't specify what kind of egg but where will I get a guinea egg???

10. shoregirl68

shoregirl68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Maryland
    Buy guinea eggs online if you're unable to find locally. You can buy just about anything online. My pekin and mallard eggs are pretty tough as well, reptilian like ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by