How to get more Pullets than Cockerels.... Book Excerpt

I was recently told by someone that raises A LOT of birds every year that he only uses roosters for one year (when they are young) and that he only incubates the more oblong looking eggs to get more pullets than cockerels. He claims a guy bought 50 chicks from him and only got six cockerels. Obviously I am very skeptical of these methods but just goes to show you they are out there...

Quote:
You need to raise your standards, Shellie, my friend, LOL.
lol.png
Wish I did know when they lay the eggs containing the pullets! I'd be only collecting those for sure!

I don't know if the book is true or not,but for the last 2 years,all but one of the chicks hatched in August have been pullets for me. I have 2 hens due to hatch in August ,between the 7th and 10th. I'll notice from them what I get and let you know.

Glad my chickens didn't read that book...

My homemade bator with the light that goes on and off hatches an average of 70% or more of all the eggs I've ever set....
lol.png

Well, I happen to have a male incubator and a female incubator. If I want a few males, I put eggs in the left one, females, the right...works great for me...........
lau.gif

Okay, well, maybe not.

However, I do hatch an amazing amount of females in relation to the males. I hatched out three RIR from a friends eggs, all three are girls.
I hatched 8 Dutch and mixed breed chicks from another friends eggs (while she set some as well) I ended up with 7 girls and 1 boy, she has all boys.
My white silkies I hatched 8 males and 16 females. The others are still a bit too young to sex yet.

I know last year, I hatched Dutch and I ended up with about 10 trios of Dutch.
I must be doing something right.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom