how to get my birds to start laying where i want them.

RaptorChicken

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
I have a gold laced Wyandotte, new Hampshire, and a black sex link. but thanks to the top hen sundew, (new Hampshire) they will not lay eggs where I want them too. sundew got broody and then all the eggs disappeared. mom found them the next day under a bush. (thanks mom). after that we got two eggs a day. a few days later they stopped laying eggs under the bush, and now midnight (sex link) will not even lay them in the box. I understand it is quite hot in the nesting box in the summer but now they are hiding the eggs in who knows where. anyone know how to get them to lay where I want them too? btw I have a fake egg in there. (oh I hope this is the right forum)

Oh and here is a pick of the egg theif

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I agree with aart... you should keep them locked in for a bit. They may be laying in the New Hampshire's nest, chooks follow example and tehre is always the one or two birds taht wants to lay in the broody's nest. But that is just a possibility. Also what kind of egg box do you have in the pen? A dark warm-ish egg box in the corner of the pen is best. Make sure they have bedding to lay on (hay or pine shavings). The bedding sometimes can't be applied to roll away nests though. Otherwise you could scout around for their 'wild' chook nest.

thanks, I cannot do it when it is this hot so I will try when it is cooler. and plus I can't blame them for laying eggs in the cool bushes besides the hot nesting box. thanks. and after I wrote this post I realized they may not be even laying eggs. haha.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom