How to get my chickens to drink from a guinea pig water bottle?

kara_leigh

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Bradleyville, MO
I used to have a 1 gallon plastic waterer in my chickens' brooder, but they kept pooping in it. They had the large "guinea pig" water bottles at the feed store so I thought I'd give it a try since most people say it is really easy to get chickens to drink from it. I must have either really stubborn chickens or really dumb chickens, b/c they refuse to drink from it even though I have taken a few of them and showed them how to use it (much to their protests). It has been almost a week and they still refuse to use it. Are they just never going to learn? I thought about chicken nipples, but if they won't drink from that I doubt they would drink from a nipple. *sigh* Is there anything else I can do?

Quote:
Like my ole daddy used to always say . . . sometimes-

"Sure you can travel around the world in a floating Volkswagen but there are better designs available to do the job."

Or something like that. He said a lot of stuff.

Have you tried "drinking' from it?? tap it with your finger than tap there beaks to it?? I'm sure you will be able to teach them!
smile.png
Good Luck!!

I think you would be better off with nipples or chicken waterer cups that are designed for chickens. You might be able to get them to use those bottles but it will be a lot easier on you to go with the other options. I personally like the waterer cups because they can drink freely from a cup of water but both are good and can be hooked up to a large supply of water.

62744_100_6658.jpg

Back
Top Bottom