how to get my chickens to stop sitting?

mumma3crazedboy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Maine
I have 3 chickens that want to sit- they will all sit in the laying box all day and id assume all night, even when there are no eggs under them. How do I get them to stop? they have brought my daily egg count way down. Im not sure if its because they stopped laying hoping to hatch what they are sitting on- of because they wont move from the box and the others haven't be able to lay... any advice?

If you don't want them to be broodie there are lots of threads on here on how to break them. But basically it all boils down to keeping them away from the nesting box for about three days (and nights). Some do that with boxes or caged we just put them in a different run but however you do it they seem to loose interest after about three days if you can keep them off.

Last edited:
They're broody. They want to raise a family. Once they reach that point they quit laying until the potential chicks are at least a month old.
The way to break the habit is to cool off their underside. Traditional method is to hang them in a wire bottom cage with a little food and water.
You can also try some ice in the nest. Block the nest off at night so they don't sneak back in there.

thank you, I do move them, and put them outside when I go in to check for eggs. I don't think that the babies would be big enough to really survive the winter if they were to hatch in a few weeks.
maybe in spring Ill let them hatch a couple out.

You have to make sure they can't get back on at all not even at night for about three days for them to get over it. Just taking them off but giving them access to go back in wont help at all.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom