How to get my duckling to be quiet?

Nectarine

Chirping
Sep 9, 2021
Just yesterday we built a new brooder for my duckling, usually she’s pretty good at being quiet and distracts herself with the mirror I have in there to keep her company. But she’s started to get really loud. Whenever I put her in there she starts to cry but unlike every other time she cries she doesn’t stay quiet after I talk to her instead she just keeps going on and on, just this morning at 6am I woke up to her and had to take her out for a minute just to get a break from her incessant cries (which she continued after I put her back in). I’ve taken her out twice today but have left her in there for majority of the day so she can get used to it like I did when she first went into the original brooder. I give her as much attention as possible and her food and water is always full, she’s got a mirror and a teddy, we’ve got a heat lamp but it doesn’t show light. She’s already over two weeks old please help me, I’ve made a similar post like this before but the circumstances have changed and so has her behaviour so I can’t apply any responses from that to now.

Fowl of all varieties dislike change - it will take time to adjust to the new brooder. Can you move the brooder somewhere you can not hear the duckling?
Thank you but unfortunately not :) I believe that she’ll only get worse if I’m not with her :/

She's lonesome and wants some company. Get her a buddy.
Birds are flock animals.
A pond or pool for her to play/swim in?
I’d love to get her a friend but it’s hard to find any that have hatched around the same time as her and with her size I don’t want to get any younger than her as she might pick on them and will probably get upset if my attention on her is divided.

She'll get worse the more that you interact with her. She's training you.
This. She is a duck. As previously stated, ducks are flock animals. You are not a duck. She won’t be upset if your attention is divided. She will be grateful to have a flock mate to keep her company when you can’t be with her. Is this duck intended to be a house pet for its whole life?

She imprinted on you and thinks that you're mom. You now have a duck baby quite literally in the sense that she will cry just like a baby all hours of the night and all day for your attention because she doesn't have anyone else. Right now it's the equivalent of puting a baby or a child in a small room alone with no other interaction and expecting them to be quiet when your duckling is in the brooder. How old is she? Its much easier to introduce new ducklings then adults and ducks need other ducks for socializing.

It definitely would be best to find a friend for your little duck. I have raised a duckling before that imprinted on me and didn't have any duck friends for awhile, and the only way I was able to get her to quiet down was to spend all my time with her, take her everywhere, and let her sleep right next to me in a small cage on my bedside stand.

Back
Top Bottom