How to get new birds to like you?

Crax

Chirping
Oct 4, 2020
Texas
So we have four new serama on our hands now, they’ve never been held or handled so I’ve been trying to get them used to people, any tips? Three of the four let us somewhat handle them but the fourth is a very flighty roo and won’t allow it! As I said before any tips on getting them to be friendlier and affectionate? (If that’s even the word)

Ps: I dunno if I’ve put this post in the right area so sorry if I didn’t 😥

Also I see lots are saying treats and I did happen to get a bag of meal worms for my other chickens so I’ll try giving them some, should I try giving these guys some in my hand or is there a different way of doing that I should know of?

Give the mealworms one at time to the bird your working with. Plus it helps to be consistent with your exposure and what you do with them everyday.

Give the mealworms one at time to the bird your working with. Plus it helps to be consistent with your exposure and what you do with them everyday.
Thankfully I’ve been spending time with them each day, and I’ll be sure to do that! :)

Spend time around them in a non-threatening manner: grab a chair and sit down and have coffee with them, or read a book. Speak softly and calmly, and toss treats to them if they come closer to you, so they begin to see your presence as a good thing, and not a big, scary, grabby thing.

Back
Top Bottom