How to get pigeons to breed?

degunuts

Chirping
Sep 28, 2020
I’ve got 9 pigeons, 4 hens and 5 cocks (one is too young to breed) but they just aren’t pairing! One pair was just introduced, so they’re probably still nervous, same with one of the hens. This still leaves two hens and three cocks. One hen was mated back in September, but her mate flew away so she didn’t lay. The other one SEEMS interested in pairing, and a cock seems interested in her as well, but they won’t stay in the same nest (if I put them together the hen will put her head down and tail up, but the cock will go to a different nest) and they just don’t seem to be “paired.” The final cock is just not interested in a nest or any of the hens. Is there something I’m doing wrong? Should I add something to their feed? Thanks!
Update: I switched the thermal light out for a led and the reluctant pair got straight to grooming each other and almost kissing! Now I’ve just got to get the other males to pick a mate...

Last edited:
Trust me - this 'problem' will go away, and you will be wondering how to stop them from breeding. I had to separate my pairs every August to stop the pigeon explosion.
I suppose. They probably just need a bit more time, it being the middle of winter and all- only so much a light can do! I suppose I just need to wait for them to go past just preening and figure out that theres a lot of room to walk around on the bottom of the loft, because it would be slightly tricky to mate in the roosts where the nest boxes are, haha

Back
Top Bottom