How to get ready to leave brooder

It's awful how cute they are!

Kinda took the day off but I'll work on it more soon

Chicks are quiet so guess they okay, going to get down to 20 on thur. They weren't smart enough to go in the coop when it was getting dark, hope they learn soon.

Do they need a night light or something. The brooder room had a dim light on, didn't think to snuff it out a few days before their move

Do they need a night light or something. The brooder room had a dim light on, didn't think to snuff it out a few days before their move
A light can help to lure them into the coop, as I don't see any obvious window(s) to allow sufficient light at sunset for them to navigate (maybe you have some but I don't see it).

Generally speaking you don't want "instant sundown" as the birds might not get up on the roosts if it is light. But maybe a dim light? Can you move them into the coop as the light starts to fade? Or maybe stick them in there during the day and keep the coop closed for a day or two so they get the idea that they WANT to sleep in there?

They will eventually see it as their safe place. I left a gate open the other day while working on something and the alpacas came out of the field and went into the chickens side of the barn. They can see it from their side but normally can't get there. All the hens hightailed it to the coop. Worked out for me, it was about 1 hour before they would naturally go to roost so I just shut them in.

I am still moving 4 or 5 girls into the coop at night, they are 5 months old (except the one that is 2.5 years old ;) Not sure about the older one though I've had to move her on and off her whole life. I think the younger ones don't want to deal with the older hens messing with them as they try to get on the roost. There is plenty of space but you know chickens, can't just stay where they are if someone else gets anywhere near them.

So put a light in the coop? And set a timer so it turns off an hour after sunset? It would need to be solar with a timer and maybe not super bright. Not sure what i could use
Yeah, something like that. And I'd consider putting in a window/open vent that allows a good amount of light in the coop in the future, when weather is more agreeable.

They've been going to bed at night before the auto door shuts so that is supper nice

I let them out of the run today but put them back before it got dark. I just put their treat in the run but some were kinda silly at stared at it through the fencing haha thought they were smarter than that. But a few times of me walking around it and they figured out how to get back in. Hey maybe they just need to do it a few times to remember where the door is

Back
Top Bottom