1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to get rid of ants in and around my coop and run.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SecretHavenFarm, Jun 30, 2010.

1. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    Now that its summer time in southern CA, the dang ants are out and looking for food and water. I have to fight these things every summer soming into my house and such. But now they are invadeing my chicken coop. I keep everything as clean as posable. But they come in for the water. I have hens sitting in the coops so I cant not have water and food in there.

So my question is, does anyone know of something that is safe to use around my coop and run to get rid of these things??

2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I think Diatemaceous Earth (sp?) will help control them and as long as it is food grade, it is safe for you chickens.

3. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    You can use Seven 5% under the bedding of the coop and even around the coop, it safe for chickens. I use it and it works well. I have never had any luck with DE and ants. I have also found Orange Oil will kill them also. I mix a few cap fulls in a gallon of water or spayer and soak the mound or spray on the ants. You could also get a few Guineas they eat ants like crazzy.

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have food grade DE in the sand in the run and in the pine shavings in the coop. And I still have ants. [​IMG] So I think the sevin dust may be the answer for me IF they annoy me too much. [​IMG]

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    cornmeal, they will eat it, but they can't digest it. It will blow them up, w/o using chemicals.

6. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    perpermint oil in a line around the coop they wont cross the line.

7. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Holy crap. I feel your pain. Last year when my hen was sitting they were all up UNDER her nest box and even around the eggs and such. I was so mad. I tried to keep it as clean as possible too.

8. LAURA7A

LAURA7A New Egg

Apr 22, 2012
    florida
    i am having the same problem, they are all in the pen a coop hiding under the water feeder

9. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    You say AROUND your coop and run. Ortho has a product called Orthene that kills ants like crazy. The active ingredient is "acephate". There are several companies now producing "acephate" now that the patent has expired. It completely disappears after 7 days. It would be necessary to either apply it AROUND the coop and run or move your birds for 7 days if you apply it inside the coop and run.

The ants walk through the powder and carry some back into the nests killing the queen and all other ants in there. Just apply it where they must travel through the powder to get inside. Fire ants here in Louisiana are a terrible problem. This product has been very effective in keeping ants off of my animals and grandchildren.

10. Grouseru

Grouseru New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Is seven safe for all pets? I thought that was pretty hardcore stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by