How to get rid of Fox for good?

newchickonblock

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 2, 2009
I understand many will not agree with my question or plan of action but we are getting overrun with foxes. We found several dens all within yards of our house and we see adult and baby foxes almost every night and now in the middle of the day when people and dogs are outside. This is not safe for our chickens and or children. Not to mention recently a girl was bitten by a confirmed rabid fox less than 30 miles away.
Can ayone suggest the most humane poison to put in cat food bait?

Not sure about humane poisons, ethylene glycol - in antifreeze and brake fluid - is very effective but not very humane.

CO2 gassing of the den will kill anything in the den and they won't know anything about it.
You could do it with the exhaust of a car or truck, they'd know a bit about it but not much.

There's abviously a good reason why you have so many foxes in your area, and that good reason will be that there is plenty food for them. Remove the food source from your neighborhood and the foxes will go away, or at least their numbers will reduce to a point where they are not such a pest, or at least not living in your yard.

Thank you for you reply. My best guess is their food supply is/was our free range chickens (now fenced in) and one of our neighbors had lots (I mean lots) of cats.

If you want to know how to go about exterminating a den, you should probably talk to your conty wildlife center for advice or extension agent. Be careful about that poison, you could kill non-target animals that way.

I guess I had better go hide out for awhile.
hmm.png

Dale-Ann Fox

Quote:
most here die from lead poisoning from a .22 caliber spirit stick
smile.png
there are a number of quick quiet ways of dispatching canines with resorting to poison

Last edited:
Good Luck.Unless you are in a rural area and have a gun...We have lost Many duck's and some chicken's here in the last 6 year's.Fox are hard to trap in a live trap.Leg trap's or snare's not an option for Us as well.Poision is an option if you don't have other neighbor dog's or outside kittie's like We did.Between DH and neighbor they cleaned out 2 den's but now We have spotted a new pair and have lost one of our oldest mallard drake's last couple week's.But Whaaaaa We have coyote too soo.Hope ya get the little rascal's they will clean your bird's out and quick.They will make several kill's in a night and they bury the prey for kit's or later eating.

Quote:
grey fox / bobcat are not that hard to trap in live traps they just need to be large enough, reds on the other hand are a lot easier with #1 1/2 coil spring traps one way of trapping fox is like the amish do yotes with a piece of pvc pipe about 12-14 " in diameter at least 10' long 15-20" is better

Quote:
X2 these work good because they generate chlorine gas, in the bad old days most used ammonia and bleach to do the same thing with a funnel and garden hose

Back
Top Bottom