How to get rid of lice on my hens

clairemcc1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
How can I get rid of red lice on my hens?? I've tried louse powder, spraying and cleaning the coop out with 'lice kill' spray and they are still on my hens!! I received some good advice from you folk on here but some of the stuff suggested I can't purchase in the UK. can anyone please suggest what I can do or buy within the UK to get rid of them?

Any help much appreciate!

Thank you, Claire

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
Is there a second type of louse powder or poultry dust available? And did you treat at least twice 10 days apart? If it is everywhere, it can take a few weeks if not a month to get rid of the problem as new ones hatch out.

remadl700

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
oregon
Can you get Seven dust? It’s a chemical that won't harm chickens

You can also use Diatomaceous Earth; DE. You should be able to find that in the UK and it needs to be food grade. It has received mixed reviews on how well it works but I have used it with great success. You need to use it religiously for 7-10 days in a row, dusting down all the birds at night on the roost. I do this at night because they are all in one place and calmer. I get them by there feet and let them hang while we shake the dust on them. Like I said we had great success with it .....but I have had people say it does not work for them.

clairemcc1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
thanks for these suggestions, its not everywhere I really need to closely look at the hens before I can find them - maybe roughly 5/10 visable on each hen upon inspection. I know they are most likely to be in and around the coop but I cant seeem to see to many around the coop although I know it needs treated aswell. Ok I hope to be able to get some DE as you say tomorrow - i checked online and it seems to be available in the UK, would a feed store be likely to keep it in stock?

Top Bottom