How to get rid of lice on my hens

clairemcc1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
How can I get rid of red lice on my hens?? I've tried louse powder, spraying and cleaning the coop out with 'lice kill' spray and they are still on my hens!! I received some good advice from you folk on here but some of the stuff suggested I can't purchase in the UK. can anyone please suggest what I can do or buy within the UK to get rid of them?

Any help much appreciate!

Thank you, Claire

Is there a second type of louse powder or poultry dust available? And did you treat at least twice 10 days apart? If it is everywhere, it can take a few weeks if not a month to get rid of the problem as new ones hatch out.

Can you get Seven dust? It’s a chemical that won't harm chickens

You can also use Diatomaceous Earth; DE. You should be able to find that in the UK and it needs to be food grade. It has received mixed reviews on how well it works but I have used it with great success. You need to use it religiously for 7-10 days in a row, dusting down all the birds at night on the roost. I do this at night because they are all in one place and calmer. I get them by there feet and let them hang while we shake the dust on them. Like I said we had great success with it .....but I have had people say it does not work for them.

thanks for these suggestions, its not everywhere I really need to closely look at the hens before I can find them - maybe roughly 5/10 visable on each hen upon inspection. I know they are most likely to be in and around the coop but I cant seeem to see to many around the coop although I know it needs treated aswell. Ok I hope to be able to get some DE as you say tomorrow - i checked online and it seems to be available in the UK, would a feed store be likely to keep it in stock?

Back
Top Bottom