How to get rid of mites on hens?

JPEG_20210430_200640_5447423900357310533.jpg

Where in the world are you?

Exzolt will kill 99% of mites and is a water additive. It's available via prescription from a vet. The active ingredient is fluralaner.

If you can't get Exzolt, Bravecto spot-on works really well too. Also fluralaner based but is topical. I empty a bravecto spot-on (dog or cat) into a fine syringe and administer 0.05ml per chicken to the back of their necks. Works amazingly well and they don't need a second treatment.

Exzolt will kill 99% of mites and is a water additive. It's available via prescription from a vet. The active ingredient is fluralaner.

If you can't get Exzolt, Bravecto spot-on works really well too. Also fluralaner based but is topical. I empty a bravecto spot-on (dog or cat) into a fine syringe and administer 0.05ml per chicken to the back of their necks. Works amazingly well and they don't need a second treatment.
I’m in Alaska

What drug is the treatment you use? I have been treating the mites for years, i do everything, clean out the coop And run and yard. I rotate permethrin and spinosad sprays and wipe everything down with vaseline and use the poulty dust. They go away for a few months but they always come back! There are rats that also go away for a few months and when the rats come back around, so do the mites!

What drug is the treatment you use? I have been treating the mites for years, i do everything, clean out the coop And run and yard. I rotate permethrin and spinosad sprays and wipe everything down with vaseline and use the poulty dust. They go away for a few months but they always come back! There are rats that also go away for a few months and when the rats come back around, so do the mites!

Fluralaner. I have used the Bravecto spot on which removed 100% of mites for over a year. I have Exzolt now ready to go but haven't any mites to treat for at the moment.

Some poisons may be effective but not okay to use. And certainly not on poultry you like to eat eggs from or their meat.

Some vets do prescribe poisons that are poisonous and not for poultry.

Permethrin is for poultry, breaks down and should be okay.

If you want to prevent that the mites who come out of the eggs after more weeks you can use diatomaceous earth to prevent a reinfected coop. Baby mites that come out of the eggs get killed by the DE.

Some poisons may be effective but not okay to use. And certainly not on poultry you like to eat eggs from or their meat.

Some vets do prescribe poisons that are poisonous and not for poultry.

Permethrin is for poultry, breaks down and should be okay.

If you want to prevent that the mites who come out of the eggs after more weeks you can use diatomaceous earth to prevent a reinfected coop. Baby mites that come out of the eggs get killed by the DE.

Fluralaner has zero withholding as marker residues are so low in trace amounts of eggs. There's a meat withholding of 14 days as that's the time it takes to breakdown in meat to acceptable MRLs.

https://apvma.gov.au/sites/default/...olt_fluralaner_oral_solution_for_chickens.pdf

DE doesn't kill mites - adult or juvenile. Adult mites can live for months. There's a reason that so many threads here say "I tried DE and it didn't work..." -- it's because it doesn't.

I'll go with the science backed, reproducible studies to choose which chemicals to use on my chickens. Sure beats letting them suffer with mites by using ineffective powders such as DE that contain crystalline silicon dioxide and are linked with silicosis in humans and other irreversible lung diseases; imagine what it's doing to the poor chooks who are bathing in it!

Fluralaner has zero withholding as marker residues are so low in trace amounts of eggs. There's a meat withholding of 14 days as that's the time it takes to breakdown in meat to acceptable MRLs.

https://apvma.gov.au/sites/default/...olt_fluralaner_oral_solution_for_chickens.pdf

DE doesn't kill mites - adult or juvenile. Adult mites can live for months. There's a reason that so many threads here say "I tried DE and it didn't work..." -- it's because it doesn't.

I'll go with the science backed, reproducible studies to choose which chemicals to use on my chickens. Sure beats letting them suffer with mites by using ineffective powders such as DE that contain crystalline silicon dioxide and are linked with silicosis in humans and other irreversible lung diseases; imagine what it's doing to the poor chooks who are bathing in it!
I suppose we have a different type of red mites in Europe. Because over here DE does work if applied correct over a long time. Even the farmers use it because there are poisons that don’t work properly anymore and strong poinsons have too much residues in the eggs or meat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom