how to get rid of mold on the ground

LuckysMom

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
South Carolina
My husband suggested I start throwing the chicken feed on the ground instead of leaving it in a dish. Well, I did that for about a week and now there's a grayish mold growing all over the ground where I've been throwing the food. I tried raking up the soil but the mold came back. Their fenced area doesn't get a lot of sun, it's under some trees next to our shed. We placed it there so the chickens would have shade and be cooler. But now I'm thinking it may not be very healthy for the chickens. Anyway, how do I get rid of this mold and is it harmful to the chickens?
idunno.gif

Any mold is harmfull to chickens. Hmmmm, let me think....there are a few things you can try. Can you get some Lime? Usually you can get it from a gravel yard. If so, just turn it into the soil...I use AG Lime....its like a gravel. My chickens dust bath in it. Definately stop throwing the feed on the ground. Besides mold, you will attract critters...mice, rats, and wild birds...all of which carry diseases. Maybe some Sweet PDZ? It has a drying agent in it as well. I use it in the henhouse, and nest boxes. Hope you can get this under controll.

I am glad you asked because i did the exact same thing. I did it because it seems like the hens dont want to go inside the hen house during the day so i was afraid they were not eating enough. So i too starting putting it outside on theground and they seemed to love that. I noticed the mold this am and figured it was just from all the rain added to the fact its shady under pines. I would have kept putting the food out not thinking it was from that. All my birds thank you too
yippiechickie.gif

Yeah, moldy feed is bad. Lime would probably work. Since moisture is often a problem here, I try to really dig up and turn over the soil that I see get moldy. Do that for a few days an it usually drys out more than just raking it. I put feeders really high so that they have to reach to get to food so they don't spill it.

I have the same problem and my runs get too much sun. Only it's been raining off and on for two weeks and everywhere the birds spill the feed some grey fuzzy mold grows. I had to take a shovel and skim off the top layer of dirt, just an inch or two, and dispose of it. I could have probably put something on it, like folks have mentioned, but with more rain coming continually it would just have washed away. So I disposed of the dirt/mold and haven't had any more problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. You guys are great! I think I will completely scrape it off and get rid of it. Also I'm sure we have some lime aound here somewhere that we used for the garden. If I can't find it I'll go get some more. Thanks again!

Funny-it JUST did that this morning for the same reason. About 30 minutes ago...anyway, I got the lime at my local True Value for $2 for a 25lb bag. I just pour some on and rake it in....

I know this is an old thread but I've been reading through several. We now have mold on the ground around the feeder where they're throwing food out. I'm going to raise the feeder into a brick or two after scraping the mold. I am interested in getting the lime and trying it out. Is there any specific lime to buy and how much should I put down? TIA!

I am so glad for BYC and for those of you who give advice to a newbie chicken tender like myself. I have been having a big problem with mold in my chicken pen. I thought it was from the drainage issue from my neighbor’s property (which DEFINITELY hasn’t helped). But I also realized that it’s probably because I also spread some of the feed on the ground with their scratch. I am going to try to get the lime and see if it works… as long as it doesn’t hurt my chickens to have direct contact with it.

Back
Top Bottom