How to get rid of Yellowjackets?

I would call a beekeeper/relocated hives rather than using poison.
A beekeeper would be interested in relocating a HONEYBEE hive. NOT yellowjackets. He'd refer you to an exterminator.

Capturing a hive of honeybees that is in a house or on an eave or somewhere they are not wanted is called "doing a cutout." The person doing it is doing it for the bees, to add to his/her apiary. (They charge for doing this work too.) The bees might be behind a wall, under a floor, in a crawl space, wherever.

I have seen the work of someone who is VERY skilled at this. He has removed bees from hundred year old farmhouses, and the homeowner could not tell where he cut out pieces of the floor.

Remove the chickens. Spray the nest with top quality wasp spray. Return the chickens in seven days.
1693008963420.png

I have a crappy pre-fab coop that is within a cow shed that I have put doors on and renovated. There’s a Yellowjacket nest on the pre-fab—as I discovered when I opened the egg door and got stung on my neck/face/arms.

I want to knock the nest down at night and then drag the pre-fab coop out in a few days when the little jerks wander off. It’s not a big nest, but it doesn’t take many to really **** up your day, lol.

How hard is this?? I do not relish the idea of getting stung more/again.
A glass of hot water with lots of dawn dishwashing detergent works for me.

At night, tie wire or duct tape the end of a vacuum hose next to the nest entrance. Use an extension cord and turn the vacuum on but dont plug it in until the following morning and sun is up. Let it run for an hour or so and the yellow jacket will be dead in the vac.
I read an article that said to run the vacuum at night. It said the wasps would interpret the hum and vibrations as an attack on the nest, investgate, and get sucked in. I've never tried it though.

I have a crappy pre-fab coop that is within a cow shed that I have put doors on and renovated. There’s a Yellowjacket nest on the pre-fab—as I discovered when I opened the egg door and got stung on my neck/face/arms.

I want to knock the nest down at night and then drag the pre-fab coop out in a few days when the little jerks wander off. It’s not a big nest, but it doesn’t take many to really **** up your day, lol.

How hard is this?? I do not relish the idea of getting stung more/aga

Spray wasp killer on them and run away quickly thats our expert method here in wasp country we recently took out a giant Yellowjacket nest with the same method

YES. A variation on this... Use a mich longer hose ( we duck-taped about 20ft long out of large diameter pvc pipe and black drainage field line ). Vac can sit way away so noise doesn't bother the nest or chickens. Vac hose taped or wired near nest opening where you see them coming in and out. Put the vac on an extension cord and set an appliance timer to come on at dusk and dawn. Let it go for days or even weeks. You'll catch any yellow jackets as they come and go in the shopvac. Even deep inside walls, long lasting nests. The colony inside will die off.

Took care of a multi year problem in our house wall, where they got in through an outdoor ground fault outlet cover. No harmful pesticides!
Thinking out loud ... I wonder how the reverse would work. If one were to keep a high-powered fan blowing across the nest, would that make it impossible for them to return to the nest and force them to relocate/die/whatever?

Back
Top Bottom