How to get ride of cowbirds

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

thank you hippiechickens, but I wouldn't be able to kill them. I'm just waiting for the other birds to chase them away. the crows, and blue jays are getting pretty mad at them lol.

The cowbirds are eating all my chickens food and they are not afraid of anything. I do not like them. I am going to hang cd's all in the covered run to see if it will help, but they will probably get used to them within minutes.

The only thing I can think of is patrol ALL the bird nests in your neighborhood and remove every cow bird egg or chick that you find. Be advised that you may have to hide from the little old ladies wearing tennis shoes or the ones who own too many cats. Part of the cow bird chick's strategy is to kill the host birds' chicks so that the cow bird chick gets all the food. Adult cow birds feed in open pasture lands so that may give you some ideas on how to discourage them..

Well, I don't know how long it will last,, but I took all the feed and put it inside the coop and I'm only feeding the girls a little food at a time. While they are eating I sit with them to shew any birds away and will take food away if a cow bird show up. I only had one bird show up. I'm hoping if the food supply goes away they will move on.

Back
Top Bottom