I started my chicken experience last spring. Here is what I did to start:
Here is what I learned since starting chickens:
- Figure out how many chickens you are allowed to have, every where is different. I was allowed 6, I decided to start with 5....
- Build coop/run, your chicks will need this pretty quickly after you get them. Don't forget to predator proof!Coop should be 4sqf/bird, run 10 sqf/bird.
- Get your brooder set up.
I've wanted chickens for ever so am very excited to have kept everyone happy and healthy for almost a year. Out of the 3 girls that I have now 2 were laying consistently until the light change and I expect the other to also lay starting this year-but who knows
- Glad I got 5 chicks as one turned out to be a boy, so I gave him away and I did re-home one of the girls that turned out to be a bully. So I am left with 3 girls
- This is my first winter and the girls have been spending a lot of time in the coop due to rain and cold? Even though my coop is 4X4 I will probably build a bigger coop this spring/summer so they have more room
- They ruined my chances of growing anything last spring so I will rein them in a bit this year
- I will most likely get a few more chickens NEXT year to add to the flock
I've attached some pictures of the girls dust bathing today.
Beautiful girls!! Thank you for sharing
View attachment 1646721 View attachment 1646720 View attachment 1646719 View attachment 1646718