How to get the temp up?

Ndahly

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Minnesota
My anxiety is going crazy! I have a farm innovations 4250 pro series that had been on since yesterday. I have two thermometer/ hygrometers in there, and yesterday they were both around 30% humidity and both at 99.5 degrees, the incubator was set at 100. So I figured everything was good and put the eggs in there at about 12:30 pm today. I added water to get the humidity to 50%. I just got back in the house and this is what it's reading. What am I doing wrong?! I'm not sure how I'm going to make it 21 days, this is already stressing me out! 😂🥺
Do I need to put the thermometers next to each other instead? Or is it better having them apart?

Attachments

• 20220625_183331.jpg
    20220625_183331.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220625_183323.jpg
    20220625_183323.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 3
The eggs were room temperature when you put them in so naturally the temp will drop while the eggs are warming up. Placing the incubator on a towel will help keep the temp up and not work as hard. Go to bed and it should be back up to 99.5 by morning. Humidity will also go up because the eggs sweat and lose moisture when they warm up.
With a full turner, the perimeter will tend to be ever so slightly cooler so I move the eggs around to get a more even incubation.

I have the same incubator, the temp will not be the same through out the incubator. Percheron Chick is correct a very good post. There will be some cool spots and warmer spots, it will definitely be warmer under the fan.
I rotate the eggs some, 5 , 6 days.

Anyway I keep both vents plugged and do not use water, I run about 45 percent humidity and watch the air pocket in the egg. Then I will add water usually closer to hatch, depends on the air pocket. The environmental conditions where your incubator is may be different than mine. When I used water in the incubator the first time I used it I had to much humidity. So now I dry incubate and watch the air pocket add water as needed.

I have had good luck with the incubator, I have the same one. I am about to load 18 to 25 eggs start another batch, my second year with this incubator be my 6th run.

good luck

The eggs were room temperature when you put them in so naturally the temp will drop while the eggs are warming up. Placing the incubator on a towel will help keep the temp up and not work as hard. Go to bed and it should be back up to 99.5 by morning. Humidity will also go up because the eggs sweat and lose moisture when they warm up.
With a full turner, the perimeter will tend to be ever so slightly cooler so I move the eggs around to get a more even incubation.
Okay thank you, this is my first time incubating so I have no idea what to expect.

I have the same incubator, the temp will not be the same through out the incubator. Percheron Chick is correct a very good post. There will be some cool spots and warmer spots, it will definitely be warmer under the fan.
I rotate the eggs some, 5 , 6 days.

Anyway I keep both vents plugged and do not use water, I run about 45 percent humidity and watch the air pocket in the egg. Then I will add water usually closer to hatch, depends on the air pocket. The environmental conditions where your incubator is may be different than mine. When I used water in the incubator the first time I used it I had to much humidity. So now I dry incubate and watch the air pocket add water as needed.

I have had good luck with the incubator, I have the same one. I am about to load 18 to 25 eggs start another batch, my second year with this incubator be my 6th run.

good luck
Okay thank you! This is my first time. I just found an article about the air cell and how to tell if you need less or more humidity, I honestly had no idea how to do that 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
Okay thank you! This is my first time. I just found an article about the air cell and how to tell if you need less or more humidity, I honestly had no idea how to do that 🤦‍♀️
Ask questions if you need help. people here will help you. Everyone here may not do the same thing and have different opinions. This is good give you different insights.

I usually do my first check, candling on eggs after day 5 to 7. Somewhere in there than rotate the eggs some. Out side edges in and the inside middle out. It will take 3 to 4 days anyway to get noticeably veining. Also depends on how dark color of your eggs.

Good Luck

Ask questions if you need help. people here will help you. Everyone here may not do the same thing and have different opinions. This is good give you different insights.

I usually do my first check, candling on eggs after day 5 to 7. Somewhere in there than rotate the eggs some. Out side edges in and the inside middle out. It will take 3 to 4 days anyway to get noticeably veining. Also depends on how dark color of your eggs.

Good Luck
Yes, everyone has been super helpful! I feel like I've gained a lot of knowledge already.
How concerned should I be? It's the same thing today, my one thermometer reads 98.5 and the other reads 95. I have a towel under the incubator and I moved it to a warmer spot in the house. Or do you think it will be okay if in 5 days when I go to candle them if I just re arrange them?

your thermometers could be off from each other. When I checked mine (other 2 thermometers) to the incubator thermometer the best I could the best I could I came out a 1 degree to 2 degree difference.

I checked the 2 thermometers against each other they were within a degree.

Depending where you set your thermometers in the incubator is going to make a big difference also.
If you look at the thermometer comes with the incubator it is up higher more in the middle
of the incubator. I saw yours on the tray in the corner. That will be a big difference.

If you moved your thermometer from the tray to on top the eggs you will see a temperature change. I am not saying to do it.

Did check or calibrate your thermometers?

I would just rearrange the eggs after 6 days or so.

What you really do not want is big spikes in Temperature, like going over 104 degrees.

Keep your incubator out of drafts.

One Thermometer I use has a memory so I can go and check high and low temps.

I would just leave it, you have started. Make sure lid is on properly. Wires coming out from turner positioned properly.

I usually do check eggs as mentioned 6 days or so, then I can see the veining. I discard unfertile eggs, look for other bad eggs like blood ring, discard those. Mark eggs which are questionable. This is the only time I check each egg. After I spot check 5 days or so move eggs around. I remover screen early like 4 days. So I go 4 day lockdown because I always seem to get a couple eggs that hatch early. This I account because the temperature is not all the same in the incubator warm and cool spots.

your thermometers could be off from each other. When I checked mine (other 2 thermometers) to the incubator thermometer the best I could the best I could I came out a 1 degree to 2 degree difference.

I checked the 2 thermometers against each other they were within a degree.

Depending where you set your thermometers in the incubator is going to make a big difference also.
If you look at the thermometer comes with the incubator it is up higher more in the middle
of the incubator. I saw yours on the tray in the corner. That will be a big difference.

If you moved your thermometer from the tray to on top the eggs you will see a temperature change. I am not saying to do it.

Did check or calibrate your thermometers?

I would just rearrange the eggs after 6 days or so.

What you really do not want is big spikes in Temperature, like going over 104 degrees.

Keep your incubator out of drafts.

One Thermometer I use has a memory so I can go and check high and low temps.

I would just leave it, you have started. Make sure lid is on properly. Wires coming out from turner positioned properly.

I usually do check eggs as mentioned 6 days or so, then I can see the veining. I discard unfertile eggs, look for other bad eggs like blood ring, discard those. Mark eggs which are questionable. This is the only time I check each egg. After I spot check 5 days or so move eggs around. I remover screen early like 4 days. So I go 4 day lockdown because I always seem to get a couple eggs that hatch early. This I account because the temperature is not all the same in the incubator warm and cool spots.
Wow thanks so much for all the information! I'm not sure how to calibrate my thermometers, they didnt come with instructions on how to so I'm trying to look it up online.
I think I need to just quit worrying until I'm able to check the eggs to see where I'm at.

Wow thanks so much for all the information! I'm not sure how to calibrate my thermometers, they didnt come with instructions on how to so I'm trying to look it up online.
I think I need to just quit worrying until I'm able to check the eggs to see where I'm at.
Post back sometime, I would like to see how you do and read other peoples post. I just have the way I incubate.

Back
Top Bottom