How to get the white out of red earlobes?

I am kina glad you asked this I was wondering the same thing I have a coupla folks that don't mind when I bring " them really pretty banties" so I have not had to cull a lot lately But I was thinking whichever ones that do not came out white just line breeding back to the parents, grandparents I just hatched 12 from some of Marys eggs some real interesting colors this time

Last edited:
Hi Shelly! We have a year to get it together, as they won't be DQ'ed for ear or leg color until 2012 (per Edgar). Since there are so many levels of white, I'm sure there are several genes affecting ear color. If the other traits of the birds are compatible, I'd breed the least white ones together and see if it works itself out. I know that "type comes first" and all that, but the prettiest Serama with a genetic DQ is a heartbreaker, right? Also, check with a judge to find out exactly which level of white is considered a DQ. I'm sure that there has to be some leniency, because there are some really typey birds with a spot of pink/white in the middle.

Last edited:
Selecting for any trait that you want to improve is a numbers game. You have to hatch at least 40 or 50, maybe even 100 to get 1 or 2 that have the trait you are looking for. If you are serious about making improvements get some big numbers and cull ruthlessly. Try to get a rooster with red lobes and use him. I had the reverse problem in White lobed birds for years but finally got a couple like I wanted and got them fixed. It takes a long time and a lot of work to get there..

Back
Top Bottom