How to Get Urban Chickens in Columbus, Ohio

I was told by someone at the Ohio Farm Bureau that change is coming to allow backyard chickens. It won't be fast and it won't be easy but it will be coming.

I found out yesterday that some new people have moved into our little neighborhood, knowing full well this is red-neck hillbilly country and just about every house has an eyesore or zoning violation, and has decided they need to "improve the area" so they are trespassing on private property to find violations and report people. Soon as I can find out who is "doing us a favor" the info will be made public. That kind of stunt has been tried before and the instigators run out of town.

Columbus update:

I ran across a SUPREMELY positive article about "urban farmers" in the (Nov 2009) Columbus Monthly magazine (a fairly upscale mag, so this is really exciting!). The story highlighted several individuals/couples, and mentioned urban chickens.

I have a good feeling that someday the rules around Columbus chickens will be simplified. The rules right now are that you have to get a permit (which I did not do, and has been declared a cumbersome crapshoot....does that make me a bad chicken Rep?). Hopefully the permit rule will go away, and we can just "have chickens".

My goal this week is to reach out to the farmers named in the article, and get to know them. Perhaps some of them are members here. I would think so...

As for my ladies, it has been a work in progress. We started with a tractor, and we got tired of the daily chore of moving it around, and the poop-muck-mess that ensued. To salvage our yard, we decided to park the tractor in a permanent spot, and build a pen around it. Voila! This works really really well. My chicken chores have dropped from about 30 minutes a day down to just 5 - 10 minutes, and I don't have to worry about losing the yard to poop minefields.

smile.png

Guess what i just today found out after I wasted another $75, you cannot put up fence in franklin county USSR Ohio without a $75 certificate of zoning compliance. You can't put up any buildings without said certiificate of zoning compliance. If you are already in violation of a zoning reg, you most likely won't get a certificate of zoning complinace. Also, if anyone from zoning or the board of planning and development says anything is permitted, you cannot trust them to tell you the truth. Everything must be backed up in writing or you will be left high and dry. And it doesn't matter if you did any kind of development or fence building afte the regs were out in place because even though they are4n't listed in the old zoning book (which was my guideleine when I out the fence up) they can be determined to be illegal at any time after.

Forgive me, I am broke, mad, and heartsick, not to mention confused and frustrated with the whole process.

Your best bet if you want any kind of critters or gardens in Franklin county ussr ohio you need to have more than 5 acres.

I just got a letter in the mail addressed to the harboror/keeper/owner at my address. According to Dr Messer, I "may" have chickens at my residence haha. I was a renegade chicken harborer, but I am now in the middle of getting a permit. I will try to keep y'all updated on how it goes. I think this whole process is bullcrap, and I would get involved in a "coalition" or whatever to make this less ridiculous. All these plans and vet updates are insane, they are chickens!! They need food and water!

I'm in the riparian setback zone on Big Darby Creek. Absolutely no fence, no shed, no invasive birds allowed in the sensitive Big Darby watershed. Next hearing to keep 11 girls at my house on .26 acre is later this month. And the kicker, they claim the shed and fences I have in place are illegal. I have to prove they were put up before 2008.

Long story short, all birds have been rehomed. I still retain ownership but they are safe where the zoning nazis can never find them. There are 4 here but only because those remaining are not rehomable for their various reasons. I will put them down myself before I surrender any.

Fish and wildlife has been notified that FC zoning intends to enforce the officially on hold regulations concerning Muscovies.

Actually, now I am just tired of the whole fiasco. Another, more livestock friendly property is in my future, but not for a few years.

Not according to the attorney I spoke with. You might think you are innocent until proven guilty but in truth when it comes to zoning and board of health you must prove you are innocent. Even if you do prove you are innocent a black mark remains on your record just because a report was made. There is no such thing as an unfounded complaint with either agency.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom