How to Get Urban Chickens in Columbus, Ohio

Reading through these old comments---this is exactly what happened to me when I tried to "do the right thing" back in 2006. I jumped through all the hoops and nagged Dr. Messer for months and then gave up. I believe the term is "stonewalling".

I am now a renegade with 4 new birds...we'll see what happens.

Well the neighbor reported us before we could get the permit in. Also said our dog attacked him when she was never near him. So now my daughter is losing her dog and her chickens. We are going to take them out to Madison county for a few weeks with grandma until we can get a privacy fence up. Why he couldn't talk to us about his issues ill never know :(

I just discovered this great site; I searched "columbus oh law against keeping hens".
I agree if there is no Health hazard from unkept animals - be those Farm animals or pets - Gov should keep it's nose out. This is America land of the free - live free or die.
Columbus city has most absurd regulations - it has gone commie.
To get a motorcycle parking tag you have to drive in person to City Impound yard show registration and drivers lisense before they sell you the Parking tag. So totally absurd and inconvenient.
Whole City code, which has 200 years of irrelevant legislation, should be thrown out and they should start from scratch updating it to the 21st century.

Last edited:
There has been a HUGE upsurge in Columbus folks wanting birds--City Folks Farm shop and Local Matters have been having successfully attended classes. So either there is a slew of people going the renegade route or it has gotten easier to get a permit. I'm not sure. I'm going to apply again after I get the birds settled. So far all my neighbors are cool with it.

Yeeow - Reading through this thread makes me happy that I had the option to keep my chickens on our family "farm" just over the border into Union county! Good luck to all the "renegades" keeping chickens in the city!

Just recently got my coop inspected by dr messer & grew lighted. I don't have much time to write but wanted to clarify 2 points. Yes you must have your birds inspected by a vet (my visit cost me $300 -but I think I've found a way around this with a mail in feces test for $30) & yes they expect you to dispose of chicken scat to the trash... Nothing else is acceptable.

(as posted on Columbus City Chickens facebook page) ---> I can't wait to get my chickens! My coop is almost finished and I'm filling out my permit app.
Question... I see that #11 under General Permit Information for the Cols Public Health Animal Standards says that I have to have a vet see my chickens w/in 21 days of them coming to the property (in our case, hatching) and mail in a copy of the vet's exam. Does anyone know of an easy, inexpensive way to get this done? Taking 4-8 chicks to the vet seems a bit overwhelming and expensive. What are people REALLY doing for this to maintain legal chicken keeping? Most of my chicken-keeping friends don't vet their chickens (they all live in rural areas though).

Also what's that $30 mail-in feces test & where do you send it? Thanks so much!

I took our 5 chickens to the vet off of Billingsley in the Dublin area. It was around $100. I didn't do all the extra tests. The paperwork says to have the chickens checked out by a vet, but doesn't say they need all the shots and tests. I don't think our birds are going to be around other birds, so I am not too concerned about them getting diseases.

We have built the coop as instructed, and we are following what the city set forth. We have sent in our paperwork, and have 5 chicks who are about 8 weeks old. So far I think we are doing everything we are supposed to do.

One other thing. We are still figuring out what to put in our run. We have our coop and run on a concrete slab. I think we are going to put down plastic in the bottom of the run and then put sand in there. I am afraid that it will be high maintenance to keep scooping out. Any other options, or is sand the best way to go? I know there are other threads on this, but most are putting sand over dirt. not sure what to do on a concrete slab.

Thanks!

jumpergirl, Thanks for your feedback. Is that vet on Billingsly called Animal Care Unlimited? I have spoken with them and planned on taking my chicks there. Then, I got a response on facebook that Knapp Vet on Oakland Park will do barn calls for $90 for the flock. Not sure if that includes fecal labs or not though.

Regarding sand as bedding, that is what we plan to use too. Here's a website with some good information on it: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html

Warning! Animal Care Unlimited took advantage of my trusting nature. I went in and asked for the tests required by the CHD... They gave my birds the required fecal test and 3-$50 gonorrhea of the eye tests... And stuck me with nearly a $300 bill for 3 hens that were a total of $10. I promised myself I'd warn anyone I ever advised against going there due to this action on their part... (Tryin to remember that phrase about karma...? )

Back
Top Bottom