How to get Young Coturnix Outside in Winter Temperatures?

Nightbird1001

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Alaska
I have 9 Jumbo Coturnix that are 7 weeks old. I am having trouble getting them to be able to be outside. My temperatures are 30-50 degrees during the day and 10-20 at night. Whenever I put them out during the day they looking like they are getting too cold.

My question is, am I being too cautious and they will be fine at this age or is there a legitimate concern of they getting too cold and freezing to death?
If they are too cold, is there anything I can do; Or do I have to wait until it gets warmer?

Their bedding is a couple inches deep and they have hides.

Do you have pictures of their setup?
Can they get completely out of the wind?
Are they on wire, or do they have a place where they can also keep their feet warm?

If they've been indoors, you will want to harden them off a bit. You might try putting them outside all day but bring them in at night for a week or so before putting them outside full time.

It sounds like their outdoor home will be good for them. Just don't throw them from indoor 70s straight to 10-20s. I would put them outside during the day for a week, starting earlier and earlier each day. Since the early morning is usually the coldest part of the day it will get them used to the temps without leaving them in it all night right away.

Back
Top Bottom