How to give chickens antibiotics?

Summer98

Songster
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
How can you give a chicken antibiotics systemically? My rooster has a bad case (so I think) of scaly leg mites which has led to swelling and infection. The daily topical spraying has improved the legs somewhat, in that they are a lighter pink. But they are quite dry now and still swollen. I would like to treat him with a systemic antibiotic to clear this up. How do I do it and what do I give? Do I give him an injection or is there a oral solution? What and where to buy?

You can give chickens antibiotics either orally or as an injection under the skin on the back of the neck or into the breast muscle. Penicillin, Tylan 50, and Baytril are commonly given to chickens. Probably baytril or penicillin would be better for a leg infection than Tylan which is more of a respiratory drug. Oral antibiotics would be penicillin, erythromycin, tetracycline, and many others. Most can be located at your feedstore or through your vet. Some such as baytril may need to be bought online for pigeons. As for the leg mites, they should be gently scrubbed in warm soapy water once a week, and oil applied. Many use vaseline, but I have read that castor oil will stay on longer and requires less frequent application. I hope this helps.

Some antibiotics are given orally, in the water and some are given subcutaneously or into muscle. Penicillin and Tylan are two antibiotics that are injected into the breast muscle, or sometimes, the thigh. Intramuscular injections work quickly, and are pretty common. Tylan can be given orally too, as can other antibiotics like oxytetracycline. Baytril is another antibiotic that can be given orally.Oxytetracycline can be given in the water as well, along with the powdered version of Tylan.

The method of medication just depends on the type of antibioti

Last edited:
You can give chickens antibiotics either orally or as an injection under the skin on the back of the neck or into the breast muscle. Penicillin, Tylan 50, and Baytril are commonly given to chickens. Probably baytril or penicillin would be better for a leg infection than Tylan which is more of a respiratory drug. Oral antibiotics would be penicillin, erythromycin, tetracycline, and many others. Most can be located at your feedstore or through your vet. Some such as baytril may need to be bought online for pigeons. As for the leg mites, they should be gently scrubbed in warm soapy water once a week, and oil applied. Many use vaseline, but I have read that castor oil will stay on longer and requires less frequent application. I hope this helps.
I bought some castor oil and applied it last night when he was on the roost. I hope it helps.

How can you give a chicken antibiotics systemically? My rooster has a bad case (so I think) of scaly leg mites which has led to swelling and infection. The daily topical spraying has improved the legs somewhat, in that they are a lighter pink. But they are quite dry now and still swollen. I would like to treat him with a systemic antibiotic to clear this up. How do I do it and what do I give? Do I give him an injection or is there a oral solution? What and where to buy?
I used Organic Coconut Oil on my roosters legs and it worked great. I applied a thin coat every other day and within a week and a half the improvement was evident.

Back
Top Bottom