How to Give My Waterfowl Babies Niacin

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
So I have two geese and two ducks that are only on 26% game bird starter feed since they are housed with my guineas and turkeys, and there's no way I could put two different types of feed in there and be sure of whos getting what feed. So I bought some of the Durvet High Level Vitamin B Complex to give the waterfowl so they didn't get any deficiency. My Pekin already sits down 90% of the time and doesn't like walking around, so I'm mostly getting it for him. However, when I went to administer it to him, he ANGRILY swore me off lol. He already hates being held, but he was trying so hard to flap his featherless stumps of his wings and kick his feet around that I couldn't hold him still enough to get the syringe even close to his beak. He ended up with orange droplets scattered all over his body, beak, and my arms. I have polypropylene needle hubs that I use to get the solution out of the bottle, then I take the needle off to administer like a feeding syringe, but I read they can accidentally drown themselves on it if you give to fast like that. I don't want to hold his head still in case he freaks and breaks his own neck, but is there a different way to do this? Inject it? If so, how?

Also since they aren't showing sign of deficiency but I know they need it, should I give them a day or two of it every week or something like that? I know its very hard to overdose on it but I don't want to use more than I have to, because frankly the bottle isn't cheap. I just want the babies to be happy and healthy

If your worried about niacin deficiency, try frozen or fresh peas.
Well someone on here told me its not just Niacin to worry about, that they'd need an additional supplement :idunno I'm new to raising waterfowl. I just know my Aunt and Uncle stopped raising waterfowl because a lot of their little ones always came down with a deficiency even with the stuff they provided for them

I love using nutritional yeast for my birds. I mix it into their feed, and they gobble it up. I have never experienced niacin deficiency in my flock.
I haven't been able to find nutritional yeast anywhere! Would it work like the supplement would? I'd be worried that my guineas and turkeys would gobble it up before my waterfowl would too

I haven't been able to find nutritional yeast anywhere! Would it work like the supplement would? I'd be worried that my guineas and turkeys would gobble it up before my waterfowl would too
I order it by the pound from Amazon. I mix it into all feed, chickens included. Sure won't hurt them!

I put some in their water and tied their water thing up so they cant spill it over. I put a little extra just in case they did just end up slinging most of it around. The Pekin is already starting to be more active! Yay!

Back
Top Bottom