How to give runt chick a boost?

The Chickadee

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
I have the cutest little runt chick in my small flock, but I worry about her because most of her fellow chicks are nearly twice her size. They don't pick on her or anything, but she seems a lot less energetic than everybody else, even though she eats, drinks and poops fine. I've been trying to find a way to boost her growth and keep her happy and healthy. Any ideas? Thx!

I have the same issue.I bought 14 Isa Brown pullets from the feed mill.They were hatched March 27th,I picked them up on the 28th.One chick still looks like she's 4 days old while the others are twice her size. She eats & drinks just fine but is not very active. I started with AVC (with the "mother") in the water, then I changed the water & put Nutri Drench in it. I'm now back to putting ACV in the water. She's the only one that ended up with pasty butt & I faithfully clean her little tush everytime I see poop on it. This doesn't happen frequently. I've named her "Poopy Butt". Is there anything, other than what I've already given her, I can give to boost her energy & growth? Thanks in advance for any and all help. I surely don't want to lose her. She's a sweetheart & deserves every chance of living & having a good life just like any living creature on this planet.

You were fine with the Nutri drench
half a teaspoon in a quart of water for the first 14 days .
the molasses in it will help with pasty butt. it could be she's got pasty butt because she has malabsorption syndrome . that is when chick is born with internal organs there are more immature than they should be.
basically, you just keep giving them the Nutri drench until the organs catch up with their developmental timeline. then the Pasty butt should stop. but I would go ahead give her one drop of Nutri drench by mouth and if she looks needy repeat it in eight to ten hours. you don't need them apple cider vinegar if you've got the Nutri drench . it does the same thing as the apple cider vinegar. the molasses in the drench does the same thing. you might also go ahead and give this chick a helping about 3 times a week Okio triple zero yogurt. vanilla's a good flavor. it's very pure and it will help that GI tract of her stay populated with the right ratios of beneficial Flora to help her digestion.
You have a good day!
Karen

Last edited:
Thanks for your info. Sorry I'm so late in responding back. Poopy butt died & I cried as I watched her take her last breath. I even cried as I wrapped her like a baby in a clean cloth, then took her outside to bury her in my front yard. I balled hysterically as I gently put the dirt over her. She was my favorite & I shed tears still, even now, thinking about her. She deserved to live. All babies in my opinion do. Have a great week end.

Back
Top Bottom