How to groom a dog?

Quote:
so true..you really have to know what you are doing...i learned my lesson with the cheap walmart groomer clippers...my poor cocker ended up with some skin burns from them..those cheap clippers get very hot!...and if you dont know that and dont know what you are doing..its not pretty...
hmm.png
..i will only use scissors now (for small hair mats) or go to a groomer...good luck!
smile.png

Quote:
she loves to be brushed! i take out the brush and call "cuddles!" and she comes running! the whole time i'm brushing her, she's wagging her little tail. my cat too. considering how long show shih tzu's hair is, her hair isn't long. we keep it real short, she's just a family dog. but for her, its getting long. tomorrow i'll have my mom help me and cut her eyes. then i'll start asking for some grooming stuff! they know i want to learn how to groom. they tell me that they don't want me to learn because they don't want me to be a groomer, that i could do much better. well, i want to learn anyways!

omg, this post, i dont know how to feel about it, i make good money, i make enough money that i only have to work part time to pull my half of this household, infact i can bring home more money than my sister and she works 40 hrs plus. what does that mean, you could do better. its a good job. there are worse jobs for sure. LOL

Just because you learn how to groom doesn't mean that's what you will end up doing for a career. My last boss (vet) learned how to groom as a kid because she really enjoyed it. She now owns her own clinic, so I'd say she did pretty darn well for herself. I learned how to groom by working for a groomer. I did that for a while, realized it was a LOT of HARD work and takes some actual talent to be good. I groomed for 3 years and ended up going to tech school. It never hurts to learn something new, or to know how to do something yourself so you can save money. Just be sure you learn from someone who is experienced:) Good luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
she loves to be brushed! i take out the brush and call "cuddles!" and she comes running! the whole time i'm brushing her, she's wagging her little tail. my cat too. considering how long show shih tzu's hair is, her hair isn't long. we keep it real short, she's just a family dog. but for her, its getting long. tomorrow i'll have my mom help me and cut her eyes. then i'll start asking for some grooming stuff! they know i want to learn how to groom. they tell me that they don't want me to learn because they don't want me to be a groomer, that i could do much better. well, i want to learn anyways!

omg, this post, i dont know how to feel about it, i make good money, i make enough money that i only have to work part time to pull my half of this household, infact i can bring home more money than my sister and she works 40 hrs plus. what does that mean, you could do better. its a good job. there are worse jobs for sure. LOL

they refuse to pay for college for anything animal related. they practically threatened to disown me if i wanted to do anything with horses! i love animals so much, but they think that it isn't a good enough living. i'm thinking about being a lawyer, i do enjoy debates and i would make a good amount of money so then i could do all my animal stuff on the side. they have decided i'm not allowed to do anything animal related. i told them i wanted to have an animal/wildlife rescue and they said i better not until after i retire. my mom is a waitress and my dad is a UPS man, they both failed out of high school, and they are telling me how to get a good job?!?!?

Quote:
i have been trying to convince them to bring me to the local groomers to ask if i could help them. even just cleaning cages at first if that's what it takes. but NOOO. apparently anything i start doing i'm gonna die doing as a career. its upsetting.

Quote:
i have been trying to convince them to bring me to the local groomers to ask if i could help them. even just cleaning cages at first if that's what it takes. but NOOO. apparently anything i start doing i'm gonna die doing as a career. its upsetting.

That has to be really frustrating for you. It sounds like your parents had a hard time making ends meet, and just don't want to see you struggle like they may have. It never hurts to get a well rounded education, though. You can always go into something animal related later on. Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom