How to Grow a Blueberry Bush

Quote: Thank you so much gjensen! I knew you know the answer. :) And thank you so much for the ones you suggested I will write them down and take the list with me when I go get them.
I also thank you for letting me know how many people need for their household that is very helpful. I will look up cross pollinators for the others you suggested. Thank you so much, Cheryl

CHickadoodle-- I found it helpful to read the planiting instructions for blueberries, too. They are rather shallow rooted compared to other shrubs. Maybe 5-6 inches. If the mulch is piled on nice and thick, apparently the tiny root hairs will grow up into that multch. Which I assume means don't dig into the mulch to avoid damaging those hairs--

Last edited:
CHickadoodle-- I found it helpful to read the planinting insturction for blueberries, too. They are rather shallow roosted compared to other shrubs. Maybe 5-6 inches. If the mulch is piled on nice and thick, apparently the tiney root hairs will grow up into that multch. Which I assume means dont dig into the mulch to avoid damaging those hairs-- just an educated guess.
Thank you Arielle I will remember that.
big_smile.png

CHickadoodle-- I found it helpful to read the planinting insturction for blueberries, too. They are rather shallow roosted compared to other shrubs. Maybe 5-6 inches. If the mulch is piled on nice and thick, apparently the tiney root hairs will grow up into that multch. Which I assume means dont dig into the mulch to avoid damaging those hairs-- just an educated guess.
That is right. They like the decomposing material at the base of the mulch. It is also important to not plant the potted plant too deep. You want them as they were in the pot.

I like for my mulch to have a mixture of materials. As they would in the wild. A layer of oak leaves, then pine tree stems, then pine straw etc. The mulch will not get as compacted, and the water will penetrate better.

And if you want to pay for it, there is noting wrong with plain pine bark mulch. It is attractive and functional.

I add to the beds a couple times of year, and keep it as deep as 6 inches, but hold it back from the base of the plant. It is impressive how fast a nice growing environment is achieved,

Plant them in the Fall if you can.

Thank you so much gjensen! I knew you know the answer. :) And thank you so much for the ones you suggested I will write them down and take the list with me when I go get them.
I also thank you for letting me know how many people need for their household that is very helpful. I will look up cross pollinators for the others you suggested. Thank you so much, Cheryl

Ditto gjensen, Thanks so much.
thumbsup.gif

I have plenty of mulch here tons of huge oaks and pines. I also have used pine shavings from the chicken coop that I have had rotting to mix in with my mulch.I already have landscape timbers to use for the raised bed and a few bags of potting mix. I will start picking up top soil here and there to use also. I am very excited to get a berry bed started!

I have plenty of mulch here tons of huge oaks and pines. I also have used pine shavings from the chicken coop that I have had rotting to mix in with my mulch.I already have landscape timbers to use for the raised bed and a few bags of potting mix. I will start picking up top soil here and there to use also. I am very excited to get a berry bed started!

I found out the hard way that I can't have raised beds. I only made one 4' x 4' and it has been infested with ants the whole time. So I took it apart the other day. Sad. But we live in the area on La that has a lot of them.
sad.png

I'm very excited to see your project get off the ground!!!

Last edited:
I would like to see the bed planted to. The bushes are attractive so a nice bed is a pleasure to look at.

I space mine 6' oc. I went with 5' spacing originally, but came to prefer 6' spacing and 10' between rows. I like the beds to be 5' wide, but 4' could be enough.

If someone wanted (with Rabbiteyes), they could plant them individually and allow them to develop a full spread. They are especially good looking. Some can get 12' high and round. Even larger. They are not as productive grown like this, but they look good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom