How to handle a fresh laying eggs

I don't sell my eggs. I just pop them in the carton in the fridge. Washing them can remove the protective cover, which I guess would matter if I was just putting them in a bowl on the counter.

That said, if I find a rogue nest and the eggs are filthy I don't eat them, I feed them back to the chickens. I've found that eggs remain edible a remarkably long time.

-Clean eggs can generally sit out on the counter, unwashed, for 2 weeks. Personally, I put all eggs straight into the fridge, I find no downside to this and they last even longer.
-If eggs are dirty, like with actual mud or poop on them, I will wash those under HOT water the day that I collect them, before they go in the fridge. Then I put them in the fridge in a special area and eat them first.
-It's better to fully wash an egg than to use a damp cloth and wipe it, if you're gonna get it wet, do the job thoroughly. But, never store wet eggs, either let them air dry fully after washing or use a clean towel to dry them.
-Once an egg is washed, it should be refrigerated. Also, try to prevent going back between refrigerated and room temperature, sweating isn't good for eggs to be doing.

I sell most of my eggs. Here it is legal to sell fresh eggs on your own property. They must be refrigerated at no higher than 45ºF. I went to a seminar put on by Dept. of agriculture. You can get a permit but the inspector at the seminar told us that most likely an inspector would come out to inspect only if there was a complaint filed otherwise they do not go out and stop at places/farms that sell eggs.

I do not wash my eggs unless they are dirty and those I wash I keep for myself.

I wash mine then put in refrigerator the day I collect. I never put dirty eggs in fridge and I do not keep mine on counter. I do not know when it will be used so the fridge is safer. If I receive more than I would use in a week. Just start dating them with pencil so I know. The recommendation is best if used by 30 days in the fridge. Here it is a violation of city ordinances to sell eggs off property.

Back
Top Bottom