How to handle aggression?

bluerose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 21, 2007
San Diego, CA
I have a 5 mo Buff Orp roo (who I just discovered was a roo- he was *supposed* to be a hen... oh well) who is generally pretty easygoing and relatively tame.. however he has started to get a touch aggressive towards me (puffing up, chest up, 'charging', etc). The first time I was crouched down petting my BO hen Amber- I swatted him gently across the chest and pushed him back, which worked for the moment. Later on I was picking up my other BO hen Diva and he started the behavior again- while I was standing- and would not relent. Finally I gently shoved him out of the way again with my foot and he let me go by. This is the first issue I've had with him.

I can still pick him up and carry him about and he's pretty cool with it. How should I handle his aggressive moments?

Amber's also been pecking me a lot lately- not for the sake of pecking, but trying to get bits of dirt or food off of me it seems... but she's pecking HARD and seems to have forgotten she's not supposed to do that.. she's also 5mo and has not started laying although her comb is quite red... could she be getting fussy because she's getting ready to start laying? What can I do to keep her from pecking? She's also rather tame.

Diva and my RIR hen Red are still pretty flighty, and Red is LOUD as hell (although telling her to shut up works pretty well)... tips on how to work on getting them tamer would be nice too...
smile.png

Thanks guys!

The hen pecking hard for food is normal. A couple of mine got
really aggressive for food. They got a little smack and got the idea.
(Little smack people... Not chicken abuse)

As for the rooster one option is a hatchet. Ok, a bit extreme but many of us
have used it. The real answer is the roo needs to know your boss. Don't
let him do the rooster dance with you around. Stop him. If he gets nasty
get nasty back. Buff orp roos have a reputation for being gentle.

Use the search function. This topic has been covered a lot. Great info here.

I'm able to do what needs doing re: putting my foot down... do it every day with 3 of my horses...
however if he needs to be rehomed, he can be. I'd rather not if I can help it, he's USUALLY a sweetie.

smile.png

By 'smack' I usually shove them away with the back of my hand in their chest. Yes?

Ya, exactly to the smack thing. A little soft swat with the back of your hand.
When I do it do my hens, usually because they are attacking me, they just
look at me with their heads turned to the side with a confused look.
"Hey why did ya do that?"
wink.png

I'm not very experienced with horses but I'm sure it's similiar. The horse or
rooster needs to know who is boss.

I really hope your able to keep him. A good rooster really completes a flock.
We culled all ours because of some aggression, a lot of crowing, and a lack
of chicken in our freezer.

It sounds like you're going through the same thing that we just did. Day by day our roo, Shamus got more aggressive toward the hens and anyone else that happened along. So unfortunately we had to send him to the great chicken coop in the sky the other night. Although he knew I was the boss, he went after my son and our neighbor's grandson. And he was just starting to do the wing drag and dance while I was around. Talk about "COCKY", now I know where that expression comes from!! And I was beginning to be scared everytime I went in to the coop because I didn't know if I was going to be next on his attack list. Like you, I ended up with a roo although they were "supposed" to all be hens. So having a rooster wasn't something I wanted anyway. I'm such a sap though, because I really did like him very much and I feel bad we had to get rid of him. I did try to re-home him, but he would have ended up soup and would have been with strangers, so we thought it best and the kindest thing for him to perish at our own hands when he least expected it. He had a good life, but we had our safety to think about. Good luck to you and be careful and on guard with your roo.

I'm going through the same thing with our banty roo. He actually flogged my hand while I was hand-feeding the hens! I swatted him and stood up and he came at me again! Farm instincts took over and my reflex action to this attack was a swift kick. Didn't hurt him (so don't freak), and he was more respectful after that.

He's very sweet to his girls, finding them treats and such. And he's a cute little guy. But if he flogs me again he's in deep trouble. I've wrung many a neck and plucked a LOT of feathers in my life. Really didn't plan on ever doing that again, but I will NOT be stopped from loving on my peeps!!

It's been several days now, and he keeps his distance from me and does not act aggressive. So hopefully the swift kick knocked a little sense into hime. And my peeps ate from my hands again last night while he watched
smile.png

From everything I have seen and heard you have to be the dominate roo(in his eyes) accept no aggressive behavior when you are present. IF he sees any opening or does not get rebuked when he is agressive to you the behavior will only escalate.

good luck...........oh I would let him do all the hen mounting, just not in front of you.
wink.png

Day 1 of 'Queen Roo Boot Camp': method so far is carry him around. If he pecks, I tap his beak pretty good and swoop him up. He's been keeping an eye on me, but has been relatively respectful otherwise. The hens are following me around now though all of a sudden- especially shy Diva... she'll eat out of your hand and is very curious but you can't touch her.

They're hanging out in the bushes in their run right now...

Back
Top Bottom