How to handle an aggressive Tom Turkey

Well maybe Im not explaining myself to well...these birds are being raised for meat and eggs. They are not pets. I give them a wonderful free range life, but their job is to feed my family. If he was a pet I would not look to culling as an answer for behavior at all. I would rehabilitate or rehome, but since his purpose was the table anyway, he just increased the speed at which he found that final place :)

I guess I am odd but I could never eat any of my birds, they're like family.

I guess I am odd but I could never eat any of my birds, they're like family.

I dont think its odd at all. We have several birds(too many maybe) that have made themselves part of the family, and will not go to freezer camp regardless if they stop laying. So I totally understand you feeling that way. I just have 75 birds and I cant keep them all till they die of old age :)

That looks like a demonstration of what not to do.

Never back away from an aggressive tom. Never kick animals of any kind.

Carry a long stick but do not use it as a weapon and do not use it to hit the tom. The stick should be used as an extension of the arm to direct the turkey what direction to move in.

In the case of severely aggressive toms, they should be processed beginning with the removal of the head.
Have you ever been nailed in the side of the knee by a big tom. Don't tell me never kick this type of animal.

Back
Top Bottom