How to handle this? Opinions Please.

Personally if it was me I would go talk to the parents right away, instead of sending a note home. First of all the kids may not give them the note. they may look at it as they just got into trouble and don't want to tell mom and dad. Plus if you go talk to the parents you'll seem a little more respectful and that you actually don't mind them playing in it, you just don't want them there by themselves. Good luck
wink.png
We are soon to be having that problem with some kids across the street and honestly I don't know how I'm going to handle it
he.gif
somad.gif

See I think they think the same way that nonseq or satay feel, so if I was to approach you two in this way would you be offended or mad?

Well then, tell them to send their kids to the park 2 miles away. Just the walk will wear the little buggers out.
lol.png

I think you want to tell these people to stay off of your land and yet don't want there to be hard feelings in return. I don't think that is what is going to happen. I think you will be known at "THAT person" who doesn't like kids or what have you. I've run into some of those over the years.

Post your land with warning signs, call the parents and then call the cops every time the kids come onto your land.

That's probably what you are going to have to end up doing. Especially if your neighbors aren't helicopter parents.

Quote:
If I predated you, I'd think you were being silly. Or like those folks who move into farming towns and complain about the scent of manure in the spring. I find that one knee-slapping.

We had one neighbor growing up who would rush out her house screaming that we were using her street.
th.gif

We had others who put electric fencing around their property to keep their horses in, but that was also successful at keeping the kids out.

I think people either want to be part of a community - part of the fabric of a place - or they don't. You sound like you don't. That's fine. But you are going to have to make it very clear to our neighbors that they are not welcome on your property now.

Last edited:
THe problem is, if you don't have a fence, it's pretty hard to expect people to stay away, or even really keep them out.

I think that with some families, they kind of feel their kids have a right to run around and they aren't very concerned about property lines - 'we came out here to enjoy the COUNTRY', basically. And of course in the country, no one cares if you go play in their stream, right? You might hit a little of that attitude.

Well, I think the best thing you can do is put up a fence, and put up on trespassing signs on it, and send a very friendly kind letter to each neighbor in that 'freedom kid' area.

''Hello Neighbors, I am your new neighbor Mary Smith at 100 Children's Creek Lane. Since I have my pets and small livestock on the property, I regret I will have to put up a pasture fence on the property line that will unfortunately make the creek inaccessible to your children. I'm sure you understand that I can't have the children on the property with my dogs and livestock. Thanks! Mary Smith'

With a fence up, you have more legal recourse. If you don't have a fence, the creek functions somewhat as an 'attractive nuisance'.

I don't think it really needs to be a huge fence, but some posts and chain or welded wire fence might not be too expensive. Another cheap alternative is wood posts with fence boards (planks) ontop and electric wire every 10 inches or so. Electric fence tends to do a good job at keeping people out.

The OTHER option you might consider, is letting the kids have access to the stream, and not worrying about it.

My guess would be that for a while, it will be cute. Babbling voices on a Sunday afternoon, sort of cute. But eventually they'll get up or teens will start stopping by at 2 am, the beer cans and the trysting in the bushes will start, and you will wish you never did it.

Last edited:
Having the signs there is a warning. No trespassing without express authorization from the property owner lets them know that if something happens to them there and you did not give permission, you are not liable.

Welsummer you hit the nail on the head, 12 year olds turn into 16 year olds before you know it and then the fun starts. I have already had to ask a group of 16 year olds not to ride their dirt bikes & quads on my property. On a wednesday at 7pm when I am trying to enjoy some quiet time on my porch & they were rip roaring around for a half an hour coming within 20 feet of the house!

And even though I have a large lot this area is by no means rural. All homes around us have lots that are 5 acres or much less.

I haven't read everyone's responses yet, but I have always been told (and I don't know if it's true) that if you give someone permission to be on your property that you are liable if something happens to them.

If it were me, I would put up no trespassing signs, and tell the kids, "I just don't feel comfortable with you playing here on my land. Please go back home. I have put up no trespassing signs." Be kind but firm.

I'm not sure how the law and civil liability works in Ohio, but here in Pennsylvania waterways are usually considered "right of ways" and
someone can go through your property without issue as long as they don't leave the water. Property rights start at the edge of the water. If it's a small spring that starts and stops on your property It would be yours.

That's similar to how it is here, birdicus, but I have never heard of it being an issue if a person's property did not actually meet the water somewhere (although I'm sure everything imaginable has been litigated before, LOL). There are all sorts of laws though about what you can and can't do with water that runs *through* your property.

Anyway, I'm not sure that any of it applies in this case anyway (maybe does, maybe doesn't, I don't know). I agree that I would be worried about the liability issue. I would never buy a property that I couldn't fence. Cparian- I would get a fence up (even if just hot wire) and signs warning that it is private property and no trespassing is allowed. If they then decide to go through your fence, then take the next step. For me, the next step would probably be to speak to the parents and tell them basically what you have said here- that you don't want to be thought of as the "mean" neighbor, you are just concerned about the kid's safety.

Good luck! I hope all works out. It is very possible the kids have no idea they are even doing anything wrong.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom