How to hatch different "weeks?" in 1 incubator???

JustPeachy

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Waynesboro, Ga
Is it possible to hatch out chicks that will hatch out on different days in 1 incubator?
idunno.gif
If I got the Hovabator that holds like 40 eggs would I have to wait till I have that many eggs or can I put eggs in continuously as I get them, like 1x weekly, and then have chicks hatching every 10 days or so, is that possible??? Any tips or ideas?

if you want to do that then you should make or buy (making would be cheaper check out some of the posts on this website) another bator to put the hatching eggs in because you have to increase humidity and stop turning the eggs during lockdown. I've heard of alot of people doing that so they constently have chicks hatching but it wouldn't be good to keep them all together when some are still developing and some are hatching and good luck!

I already have the small brinsea that holds 7 eggs or 12 bantam eggs, I am having a hard time hatching only 7 chicks ever 3 weeks, so I am trying to figure out how I can do more, I am thinking of buying a hovabator because it holds so many more eggs, but I can't really decide how I would go about using both of them. I am thinking I could use the hovabator and then hatch in the brinsea, but that kinda seems like a waste since I would have to buy an egg turner for the hovabator and the brinsea has like all the bells and whistles for incubating and the hovabator would be better for hatching... I don't know...

40 eggs is a lot. I know there are a lot of people on here that do it. I have a hovabator and love it. Love it so much I bought a second one. That should be here any day now. I am actually doing a big hatch. Which I don't normally do cause I don't like roosters. But I'm changing it cause almost all my Marans got eaten by coons. Hope all view well with what you choose. Michele

I've got the Hovabator Genesis 1588 model with auto turner. I love it! This is my first hatch and it's been sooo easy to work. In the long run I'll probably get two more so I will always have chicks hatching each week.

I have the same problem this time, I use an rcom suro, and usually have different eggs at different times, and used a homemade one to hatch. Well, its not all that stable so I bought a second rcom for hatching..... yeah right... I filled them both up
big_smile.png
I hatched 29, and thought ok next time ill use it for hatching..... hehe they are full again, but I have a few infertile so the seller is replacing them, my hatch dates are 29th and 31st Aug and 2nd and 5th and 12th September lol. I will need the 'hatchabator' again. I must say my DH is not impressed
smile.png

I do staggered hatches all the time.. so long as your eggs are progressing as they should be.. and you take into consideration the higher humidity for the first batch affecting the second batch.. and adjusting it back down as soon as the first batch has hatched.. you shouldnt have any problems... it's just a matter or keeping an eye on the air cells and adjusting the humidity as needed

for turning the eggs.. i make sure i have a hot cup of water handy.. open the bator.. turn the ones that need to be turned.. add hot water to spike the humidity and close the bator.. easy peasy and never had a problem

I had quail eggs halfway through a hatch.. added chicken eggs to the bator.. went through the hatch for the quail.. dropped the humidity back down.. and then waited for the chicken eggs to hatch..
I've also mixed chicken eggs with turkey eggs.. and now I'm mixing quail eggs with muscovy

Back
Top Bottom