How to hatch under a call duck???

I am not a duck expert, and I don't study them. I only study chickens. However, I know all broody birds are alike, so I have a question. What will the safety hole do? If the ducklings need help hatching, their dam will help them out by taking the shell off. You shouldn't have to intervene, unless there is something about Calls I don't know. Is your Call already broody or are you trying to make her go broody by providing a nesting box with a clutch of eggs, which can bring out hormones?
You will need the safety holes and may even need to put some eggs in an incubator (If there are a lot) Call ducks can sometimes not cover all of their eggs depending on their size so you may need to take care of the rest.
No, the hen will assist them if needed. Unless your calls are show quality with the very short bills they won't need any help anyway. Good luck!
They unfortunately will not, they aren't that smart.
I've heard of a couple people with calls that have had their hens assist hatches
Thank you all so much I am so excited for this spring, I am starting a business with call ducks (and more animals too) I will hatch the eggs and sell the ducklings and I will raise some of the ducklings up and sell them as adults
Thank you :hugs

I will be hatching the eggs of my appleyard call duck pair (I don't have them yet but we are getting them this weekend eeee) they will be good quality calls (my call duck jonny will be a surrogate mum to the babys if she sits)
Those sound nice. Is your duck hen broody? If not, you'll need an incubator as you can't make a bird broody.

Oh i see the confusion i am not trying to make her broody now I am just planning for this spring/summer
But would it work in spring/summer???
Possibly. Some just don't go broody. I used to have silkies that would refuse to give a second glance to an egg, and other people can't get them to stop brooding on rocks or cups

Also don't plan on her brooding. If you're going to try and do this for a business, you should just incubate yourself. Lots can go wrong when depending on a bird to brood
Okay thanks
The reason I wanted to hatch under a broody is because I will get attached to the babys and want to keep them :lau

Oh i see the confusion i am not trying to make her broody now I am just planning for this spring/summer
But would it work in spring/summer???
It's a hormone thing, it wouldn't work at anytime if she doesn't have that inclination. Some individual birds go broody easily, so never do. And some go broody but never sit long enough to hatch. It's always best to have a back up plan.

It's a hormone thing, it wouldn't work at anytime if she doesn't have that inclination. Some individual birds go broody easily, so never do. And some go broody but never sit long enough to hatch. It's always best to have a back up plan.
i have an incubator so if she stops being broody i can put the eggs in there
i do hope she has the inclination to sit

Back
Top Bottom