How to have a friendly relation with 2 week old chicks.

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
I have 4 australorps, 1 male and 3 female.
They are really scared of humans.
I want them to be friendly and comfortable with me like my 5 adult australorps.
How do I get them to like me?

Try approaching them on their level rather than from above and allow them to come to you rather than grabbing at them. Ad prey animals they are naturally apprehensive about being approached from above.
I second this. Also spend lots of time with them. I cannot stress this enough. The more time the better. Hand them little edible treats, a shred of lettuce, a few pieces of their crumble, things that won't hurt them but may spark their curiosity to come check out your hand. If you can have a safe enclosure where you can sit down with them, that's even better.

Great suggestions made by others already!

Patience. They will gain some confidence with age. They go through little phases. but they quickly learn if you spend enough time in their presence.

Also when do approach slow and low from the front to let them hop on your hand, the opposite of a predator approaching.. don't squeeze tightly if you cup them as those pin feathers are painful when pressed,

When running your finger through their feed like a hen wiping her beak or tid bitting treats by picking up small pieces, dropping them, and use a high pitched voice and rapidly say "look babe, look"! That one phrase repeated does wonders to pique curiosity.

I'm not sure to say anything or not.. but guessing this is your first cockerel? It's okay if he stays shy.. and respects your space. If he is confident enough to wanna sit on your lap.. research ahead and see if you will go that route or not.. Each cockerel and situation is unique and roosters aren't to be feared.. I don't subscribe to the dominance training you might come across.. but learning some chicken body language or communication in order to learn how to read a situation and respond appropriately could be useful in the future. Too friendly seems to set my boys up for failure more often than not.. so no more sweet lap boys for me! :)

Great suggestions made by others already!

Patience. They will gain some confidence with age. They go through little phases. but they quickly learn if you spend enough time in their presence.

Also when do approach slow and low from the front to let them hop on your hand, the opposite of a predator approaching.. don't squeeze tightly if you cup them as those pin feathers are painful when pressed,

When running your finger through their feed like a hen wiping her beak or tid bitting treats by picking up small pieces, dropping them, and use a high pitched voice and rapidly say "look babe, look"! That one phrase repeated does wonders to pique curiosity.

I'm not sure to say anything or not.. but guessing this is your first cockerel? It's okay if he stays shy.. and respects your space. If he is confident enough to wanna sit on your lap.. research ahead and see if you will go that route or not.. Each cockerel and situation is unique and roosters aren't to be feared.. I don't subscribe to the dominance training you might come across.. but learning some chicken body language or communication in order to learn how to read a situation and respond appropriately could be useful in the future. Too friendly seems to set my boys up for failure more often than not.. so no more sweet lap boys for me! :)
I second this. Also spend lots of time with them. I cannot stress this enough. The more time the better. Hand them little edible treats, a shred of lettuce, a few pieces of their crumble, things that won't hurt them but may spark their curiosity to come check out your hand. If you can have a safe enclosure where you can sit down with them, that's even better.
I agree with Sourland. The closer to their level the better. Sit on the ground with them. Have their brooder raised so you aren't so much above them. Pet them on the chest not the back. Talk to them. Move slowly. Feed them from your hand. Peck at the ground with your fingers like a mother hen. Good luck!
Thank you all so much!
I will definetly to spend a lot more time with them and act like a mother hen!

Attachments

• 20200920_152055.jpg
    20200920_152055.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 4
Offer by hand live insects while consistently saying something to them. Train them to come when you give a signal. Do not provide reward unless you give signal first. Also do as described above.

Back
Top Bottom