How to help cat lose weight

Emelyn

Crowing
Mar 14, 2021
-
Does anybody know how to help my cat Domino lose weight? He's an American Shorthair who weighs 15-22 pounds. I have a bag of treats that I used to spoil him with but I don't really do it so often anymore. I've also not been giving him as much food and he's still fat. I've also have tried to give a little more exercise when I'm not busy. What else should I do to help him lose weight?

I have a 31 lb American Shorthair. He's almost 16yo and he's recently lost 4 lbs. The vet put him on diet food (prescription $) and I make sure he gets exercise by playing with him for twice as long as usual. I also took one of his favorite toys, tied it to a long piece of elastic, and hung it from an eye hook in the hallway ceiling. He plays with it independently, so I think he gets activity even when I'm at work.

Here's the big fat cat, Aubrey:
16344991273267877420260301626386.jpg

I have a 31 lb American Shorthair. He's almost 16yo and he's recently lost 4 lbs. The vet put him on diet food (prescription $) and I make sure he gets exercise by playing with him for twice as long as usual. I also took one of his favorite toys, tied it to a long piece of elastic, and hung it from an eye hook in the hallway ceiling. He plays with it independently, so I think he gets activity even when I'm at work.

View attachment 2869114
I like the toy idea :) I'll make a pompom for him and tie it in his little room downstairs so he can play with it while I'm gone

View attachment 2869114
Do you think it would be a good idea to also buy a leash and harness for him too? I think it would be helpful if I brought him outside for walks

Just remember that it takes a long time to lose weight. Lower the calories in (which you've done) and increase calories out (playing). Weigh him weekly and just be sure that he is the same or lower each time while you maintain his new lifestyle. He won't lose weight as fast as a human because he doesn't give a shoot what he weighs.

I like the toy idea :) I'll make a pompom for him and tie it in his little room downstairs so he can play with it while I'm gone
I highly recommend it! The elastic is key, imo. He'll grab the toy, and it springs up when he let's go. I don't think it'd be as effective without the elastic.

Laser pointers are good, too. ALL of my cats go bonkers over it.

Lastly, getting a younger cat helped Aubrey. He's a friendly cat and enjoys the company of other cats. He was my mom's cat until she moved into a retirement community. He perked up considerably when our younger cat Mingus moved in.

Is he 15 pounds or 22 pounds? That's a huge range for a cat.
What is his normal food?
Stop ALL treats. He should have absolutely nothing other than his normal food.
I would put him on a high quality dry reduced calorie diet in controlled portions. Acana makes several formulas in "indoor" cat varieties. Read the recommendations for how much to feed a cat at the target weight your cat should weigh and feed him no more than that amount daily. Try giving it to him in something to make him work for it. Like this.
Taking him for walks on a harness would be good if he'll do it. Most cats resist that.

I highly recommend it! The elastic is key, imo. He'll grab the toy, and it springs up when he let's go. I don't think it'd be as effective without the elastic.

Laser pointers are good, too. ALL of my cats go bonkers over it.

Lastly, getting a younger cat helped Aubrey. He's a friendly cat and enjoys the company of other cats. He was my mom's cat until she moved into a retirement community. He perked up considerably when our younger cat Mingus moved in.
OMG yes the laser pointers. I had to outlaw them in my house because of my german shep mix. She lost her gosh darn mind from them. She was searching day and night - even while we were sleeping. she stopped sleeping well because of her constant hunt for it. Seriously it was a problem! But, she is the exception - definitely do it for this fat cat :lau

Back
Top Bottom