How to help chicken getting pecked

ChickenOfSpades

Chirping
Apr 23, 2022
Lehi, Utah
I have four chickens. One of them is getting picked on excessively and I'm not sure the best way to help.

They have about 8ish square feet per chicken in their coop/pen, and go out into a much larger run every day where they each have about 35 sqft per chicken. I'm working on building a bigger coop, but it's not immediately available.

I'm pretty sure I know the main culprit chicken doing the bullying. What is the best course of action here? Thanks for helping!

I am not experienced, but you should probably separate the hurt chicken from the rest of the flock so she can heal. What breed are your chickens? Also, what are you feeding them? Sorry, I could not help much. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will answer. I wish you luck! 🙌

I am not experienced, but you should probably separate the hurt chicken from the rest of the flock so she can heal. What breed are your chickens? Also, what are you feeding them? Sorry, I could not help much. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will answer. I wish you luck! 🙌
Feeding them Nutrena layer pellets

https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/naturewise-layer-16-pellet

The chicken getting picked on is a black Australorp.

The one I think is the biggest bully is a barred Plymouth Rock (ironically the smallest of all the chickens). I also have a big buff Orpington and a blue-laced wyandotte. The wyandotte gets pecked a little, but nothing terrible. The Orpington can also bully a bit, but less than the Plymouth rock.

Last year I had a chicken who was also pecked a lot, she was a new chicken and within her first few days in my flock her head was pecked to blood.
I separated her from the flock because if chickens see blood they will keep pecking it. I put my hen in a pen super close to the coop so they could see each other When they were outside.
I treated the wound till it was fully healed and about two weeks later I added the hen back to the flock and all the pecking stopped after that.

I have also heard some people remove the bully for a bit till the pecking order is made and then add the bully back into the flock😊

Back
Top Bottom