How to help chickens with heat

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
We live in west texas where it can get pretty hot in the summers. Last year we got as high as 120°. Today we were a high of 85. I have been putting ice in my chicks water and gave them some frozen veggies today. They also have part of the run shaded off and have access to under the coop for more shade. As I went to lock them up for the night I saw they were all breathing with their mouths open. I had all of the windows open to allow a nice breeze. Is there anything else I can do to help? If they're hot now them 100+° weather is going to really suck for them. I was thinking about getting one of those hose misters and attaching to the top of the run. Has anyone done that and had any luck?

Yes, some people use misters with success.

1. Lighter feathered breeds are better than the heavily feathered ones.

2. an area of DEEP all day shade easily accessible to the birds. Some people hose down the shady area daily to help get it cooler.

3 water they can stand in. So, a pan or small/shallow kiddie pool With some water, add ice. They will stand in it.

4. multiple water stations in the shade.

5. If your winters are mild, remove part or all of one coop wall and cover with sturdy HWC or fencing with smaller openings. Make sure rain won’t blow in, or expose them directly to heavy winds when they are roosting.

6. Roof vents -turbine style that pull the hot air up and out. They spin due to rising hot air, not electricity.

7. If you have electric. Install a vent fan in an upper area that will pull air out. Get a fan made for livestock that can handle the dust inherent to livestock.

good luck!! I love a dry heat. Here it is more humid. I had to cover the south facing run fence with shade cloth last year bc it got so hot, and it was nowhere near your temps!

Yes, some people use misters with success.

1. Lighter feathered breeds are better than the heavily feathered ones.

2. an area of DEEP all day shade easily accessible to the birds. Some people hose down the shady area daily to help get it cooler.

3 water they can stand in. So, a pan or small/shallow kiddie pool With some water, add ice. They will stand in it.

4. multiple water stations in the shade.

5. If your winters are mild, remove part or all of one coop wall and cover with sturdy HWC or fencing with smaller openings. Make sure rain won’t blow in, or expose them directly to heavy winds when they are roosting.

6. Roof vents -turbine style that pull the hot air up and out. They spin due to rising hot air, not electricity.

7. If you have electric. Install a vent fan in an upper area that will pull air out. Get a fan made for livestock that can handle the dust inherent to livestock.

good luck!! I love a dry heat. Here it is more humid. I had to cover the south facing run fence with shade cloth last year bc it got so hot, and it was nowhere near your temps!
Thank you. I'll try these. Our winter weathers are unpredictable. Some years we dont go below 30. Last year we hot as low as 19 and got 10 inches of snow

Hi there. I live in Phoenix and I'm well acquainted with heat. The wading pools are a wonderful option. In my experience even the small kiddie pools are too tall so if you can cut down the sides or make doorways in it that is helpful. The mister is a great option too but it should be in a small area rather than wetting down the whole run. I make sure to wet down the preferred dust baths too so the flock has cool dirt to bathe in. You can offer frozen treats to your flock in the afternoon. Berries, vegetables, herbs etc. Cool cucumbers and watermelon are a favorite here. I take them out of the fridge and cut in half and let them warm up a little bit before giving to them. Frozen 2 litre bottles full of water to lay against are good. Sav A Chick electrolytes are a life saver too. I put out one waterer full every 2 or 3 days when it's really hot.
Good luck this summer!

Hi there. I live in Phoenix and I'm well acquainted with heat. The wading pools are a wonderful option. In my experience even the small kiddie pools are too tall so if you can cut down the sides or make doorways in it that is helpful. The mister is a great option too but it should be in a small area rather than wetting down the whole run. I make sure to wet down the preferred dust baths too so the flock has cool dirt to bathe in. You can offer frozen treats to your flock in the afternoon. Berries, vegetables, herbs etc. Cool cucumbers and watermelon are a favorite here. I take them out of the fridge and cut in half and let them warm up a little bit before giving to them. Frozen 2 litre bottles full of water to lay against are good. Sav A Chick electrolytes are a life saver too. I put out one waterer full every 2 or 3 days when it's really hot.
Good luck this summer!
Yeah, I was looking at the kiddie pools and was thinking those looked a bit tall. I like the idea of cutting a doorway. I put some ice in their water in Hope's of keeping it nice and cool. They didnt seem to love the frozen veggies so maybe I'll try some frozen fruit today. I seem to have some picky chickens 😂.

Yeah, I was looking at the kiddie pools and was thinking those looked a bit tall. I like the idea of cutting a doorway. I put some ice in their water in Hope's of keeping it nice and cool. They didnt seem to love the frozen veggies so maybe I'll try some frozen fruit today. I seem to have some picky chickens 😂.
Mine don't mind frozen fruit but don't like the veggies either. I've noticed chicks like seeds more than veggies or fruit. When they get older the greens will be appealing to them. If you can put non slip stickers in the pool too that helps with traction. The kind you put in a tub.

Deep all day shade is best but....
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Deep all day shade is best but....
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full
Great ideas. We have a second freezer so can definitely make the ice block.

I use the big ice cream tubs and freeze water in them and set them in the coop at night when the ladies are panting and also put them in the run during the day .. someone on here suggested it and it has helped a lot

Back
Top Bottom