How to help my picked on wcb Polish roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by taprock, Nov 22, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a BCW Polish rooster who is a year and four months old. He is one of two senior roosters. He has been being picked on for the past 6 months. Although I have too many roosters right now this isn't fighting between roos. It is the hens who keep plucking him - and he lets them. His head and tail are bald often bloodied from feathers being chewed off. I feel horrible about it but have tried everything ( duct tape, blue kote, gluing on a toupee) and nothing seems to help. My only thought at this point was to remove him until he heals, but I am afraid if I do there will be fighting with the other roos when I put him back. Some of the younger roos will most likely end up in freezer camp but not all. I would rehome him but at this point I can't find homes for the handsome youngsters let alone trying to find a home for a bald beaten up older roo ... impossible. Any suggestions?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Is there a particular hen that's picking on him?? I have a dominant hen that will start picking on one of the other hens and when she does that, my husband and I will take her aside, spray parts of her feathers with blue kote (she's a white leghorn) and release her. She goes bananas and hides for awhile - she sees the immediate change in attitude of the other hens and knows they no longer see her as dominant! After a bit she settles down and tries to reclaim her position, but the pecking stops as she's been knocked down a notch or two. We do this (so far) about once every couple of months.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Are you sure it's a hen? I've heard that mice sometimes chew off feathers to use in their nests. They do this at night while the birds are roosting. Just a crazy thought. Otherwise, you will probably have to isolate this guy so he can heal and be protected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by