How to humanely put down a chick

I put down my first little sweetheart today with lots of tears and also lots of thanks for this community. She had severe wry tail, problems with her eyes I couldn't resolve, a lame leg, and was starting to get picked on by the other birds pretty badly. I've been nursing her for a month and nothing helped. She was just in slow decline. I finally realized this morning that I was prolonging her suffering.

It was hard to do it. I cried and settled her as much as I could so that when I did it she had nothing more than a few seconds before it was done. Maybe less than that.

In a way I'm thankful for the tears and thankful that it was hard. I think it helps me know that I'm truly considering the well being of my birds, even when the best choice is a really tough one. This heartfelt thread was a heart saver this morning. Thanks to all who posted.

who has tried the broom method ? instead of using a broom we use a real heavy long bar. lay across they adult chickens neck and do a quick pull and snap dislocation of the cervical spine Instant death with no brain communication to the body of pain.

Back
Top Bottom