How to improve hatch rates for shipped eggs

Uhhh, how?
Look it up its too complicated (doing it isn’t that complicated) for me to explain and I let my brother do it for me, so I don’t actually know how to do it
Too lazy to rewrite it :lau. I am not sure you can calibrate with out breaking, it might be why it says not to. Hopefully somebody else how knows more can come and answer. And yes it goes in the egg turner you want to know the temperature at the same level as the eggs are

Following, I'm getting some eggs next year hopefully that already will have difficulty with lethal genes and fertility before even being shipped, I'm not wanting to damage my odds more than I must.

If air cells seem stable, are they okay to lay on their side's for incubation?

Following, I'm getting some eggs next year hopefully that already will have difficulty with lethal genes and fertility before even being shipped, I'm not wanting to damage my odds more than I must.

If air cells seem stable, are they okay to lay on their side's for incubation?
I did that with my eggs last hatch, they were on their side throughout

I'll be in the same boat with shipped eggs soon too and looking to get every last one of those little buggers across the line.

There are a few extra recommendations for damaged eggs.

Saddled air cells should be weighed from the get go as air cell size may not be very evident for tracking weight loss: they should lose roughly their weight x .04 every 6 days. (Or around 12%)
Rotating should still happen, but make much smaller adjustments.

Detatched air cells should 'not' be turned or only turned a very small amount for the first 10 days and then positioned upright for hatch.

Cracked eggs can be mended - the area should be sterilized and then use clear nail polish or kid-safe crafting glue to paint over the crack and reseal the egg. Larger holes can be patched using boiled egg shell cut/chipped to fit and sealed as above.

Obviously, if you're patching eggs, candle often for signs of bacterial infection and keep an extra special eye on them come hatch time to make sure the patch does not interfere with hatch.

I personally wouldn't wash my eggs, as I'd prefer to let the bloom do its job, but there was s a whole procedure for that if you're really worried about contamination.

When in doubt, or you're really committed to saving an egg, do a Google search for egg guides for rare and exotic birds - they are much more committed to saving every egg than the chicken ones. I stumbled across a DOC guide for handling shipped kiwi eggs that way, which was really good.

Back
Top Bottom