How to increase calcium besides oyster shells?

We have had two egg bound hens in the last few months and I’ve noticed some of the egg shells seem to be thinner/weaker. We use Kalmbach Layer feed which has 3.5% calcium and we offer oyster shells at all time, but I rarely see them eat it. What else can we do to increase their calcium? I asked about adding liquid calcium to their water and it seems that might not be the best idea. Any other suggestions?
Are you feeding treats?

Where'd you find the flaked oyster? Only place I see it is on Amazon....
You should be able to get it at a feed supply store. Flaked oyster shell was impossible to find until about a year and a half ago, but now many fed stores have it. I buy it in a 50# bag for about $25 from my local feed store. It's a lot more expensive for a smaller bag from Small Pet Select. It is used in landscaping and Bocce Ball courts, so you might be able to find it at places that sell it for these purposes.

You should be able to get it at a feed supply store. Flaked oyster shell was impossible to find until about a year and a half ago, but now many fed stores have it. I buy it in a 50# bag for about $25 from my local feed store. It's a lot more expensive for a smaller bag from Small Pet Select. It is used in landscaping and Bocce Ball courts, so you might be able to find it at places that sell it for these purposes.
The last time I bought it, I got a cheaper one off ebay, too.

Off to the beach today to refill my oysters! I crush and leave them outside the run door. I save egg shells and let them dry in the sun or counter and they dry.
IMG_4953.jpeg

IMG_6155.jpeg

IMG_5874.jpeg

About 40 minutes to Milford beach in CT. I wish you lived closer to the beach too Saveria!
I did growing up, about the same distance as you in NH. I traded it in for how calm and peaceful it is here, so I guess I can't complain. 😄

Do you have to dig the oyster shells, or is there a certain place that you can find them in good numbers? Maybe I'll look for some when I go visit my mom.

I did growing up, about the same distance as you in NH. I traded it in for how calm and peaceful it is here, so I guess I can't complain. 😄

Do you have to dig the oyster shells, or is there a certain place that you can find them in good numbers? Maybe I'll look for some when I go visit my mom.
No digging. I fill a 5 gallon bucket in about 10 minutes so it's plentiful. They are already dried out too so thats good too. I wanna go back to those white mountains of NH! Beautiful beautiful ❤️ 🏔️

Back
Top Bottom