How to insulate chicken nest boxes?

Sabz

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Quebec, Canada
In my future coop, I was thinking about having the nest boxes hanging out of the coop, so I can just lift the lid and reach for the eggs.
Kind of like in this coop:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/log-cabin-coop

But since I am in Quebec and it can be quite cold, I would have to insulate the next boxes. So then comes the questioning on how to insulate it, and how would I manage to insulate the cover and still be able to open it?

I think probably if I put the hinges on the opposite side of the coop wall (IE, the cover would open towards the person and not toward the coop wall.. not sure if I am clear) this way I would be able to open the cover even if it is insulated.. but I am not sure it is the best way to go.

I also thought of having a sliding door, but I think this would be even harder to insulate.

Or... maybe this is a completely bad idea and I will loose too much heat from there? Or it would always be cooler than the rest of the coop and the girls won't want to go in the nests?

I believe when choosing nesting spots the chickens are more concerned about a seclusive area and fluffy bedding. I don't think they will be concerned about the slight temperature changes between the nest box and the other part of the coop, they want a quiet area that feels safe from predators (I am about to add curtains to my nest boxes as some are now laying in the corner instead of the boxes).

Plus when it is winter they probably won't lay much anyways unless you provide artificial lighting.

Last edited:
My nesting boxes are just like the ones in the photograph. I don't insulate anything here. If you were to insulate, you would do it the same are for the rest of the coop.

As far as opening the roof towards you is concerned, think about how you are going to reach over the opened roof to do whatever is next.

Chris

Thanks to you both!

Yes Chris, I will insulate the same way as the rest of the coop but my concern is opening the door (since it will be thicker because of the insulation, it cannot open like in the link I posted). I think it can only open towards me, which will block access for the eggs.. BUT, I think I can buy a type of hinge that will allow the cover to open "fully" and sit against the front of the nesting boxes.

Youah, this is hard to explain.. english is NOT my first language and construction is really not something I know, so I have no idea how to describe this. But anyhow, I think I found a way to make it work :)

Sonya, thanks for the feedback. I will make sure the boxes are super fluffy and comfy, so even if they are a LITTLE bit colder it shouldn't be that bad.

Also I condisered the direction of the wind and the sun when I made the plans for the coop, so the nesting boxes will not be in the most windy side of the coop. They will be hidden from our cold winter winds, so that should help also.

I am actually getting some wood TODAY, so the project should start pretty soon!! :)

Back
Top Bottom