how to intoduce two bunnies?

Isablahblah

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
how do you guys do it because i am going to get one and i need ideas.
thumbsup.gif

Everything I've read says bunnies don't do well together. Even breeders only take the female to the buck for a few minutes and then back to her own cage.

Make sure you have all your research done.

The only way it might work is if your rabbits have a very large space.

Putting two rabbits of different ages together in a regular hutch or cage usually won't work. They are very territorial and will fight.

I wouldn't say it's impossible that they would get along, but it's not likely.

If they are spayed/neutered they will usually get along. If they are not, they will usually fight if they are the same sex or breed if they are not and then sometimes fight too.

Last edited:
Yeah but if they aren't fixed and aren't the same gender, the 'fighting' may lead to an overpopulation of rabbits.
lol.png

But seriously, everything I've read has said that rabbits who haven't grown up together can't stand one another.

Neutered/spayed rabbits can be introduced at any age by having them live side by side separated by fencing/pens. I personally do not put pet rabbits in cages, they need space to run and hop and just be rabbits.
bun.gif

I've always paired my rescues and have had success 99% of the time. Just give them time to become accustomed to each other.
I still can't figure out why anyone would have rabbits in the house and not have them neutered! They are so much happier and make much better pets when desexed but that's jmo.
smile.png

Blind date, a light champagne mixer....I don't know, I give up? How do you introduce bunnies?
hu.gif

lau.gif

If you mean for breeding, you will take the doe into the buck's cage for the deed. Not advisable to have bunnies living in the same cage except for the brief copulation period. Very brief.....
lol.png

Go to House Rabbit Society's website http://www.rabbit.org/

They
have articles on how to bond rabbits. I have had plenty of bonded rabbits over the years. Not all rabbits need a buddy but some really do like having one. Make sure both rabbits are spayed/neutered.

i keep all my females together in 3 large hutches/runs and have never had any probs. they r all breedable and different ages but if done right they can be kept together. my males r all seperated and does stay seperated till after kits r weened before going back in with herd pens. my females r always taken to the males to breed then pened by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom