1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to intoduce two bunnies?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Isablahblah, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Isablahblah

Isablahblah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    how do you guys do it because i am going to get one and i need ideas. [​IMG]

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Everything I've read says bunnies don't do well together. Even breeders only take the female to the buck for a few minutes and then back to her own cage.

Make sure you have all your research done.

3. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    The only way it might work is if your rabbits have a very large space.

Putting two rabbits of different ages together in a regular hutch or cage usually won't work. They are very territorial and will fight.

I wouldn't say it's impossible that they would get along, but it's not likely.

4. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    If they are spayed/neutered they will usually get along. If they are not, they will usually fight if they are the same sex or breed if they are not and then sometimes fight too.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  5. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Yeah but if they aren't fixed and aren't the same gender, the 'fighting' may lead to an overpopulation of rabbits. [​IMG]

But seriously, everything I've read has said that rabbits who haven't grown up together can't stand one another.

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Neutered/spayed rabbits can be introduced at any age by having them live side by side separated by fencing/pens. I personally do not put pet rabbits in cages, they need space to run and hop and just be rabbits. [​IMG] .

I've always paired my rescues and have had success 99% of the time. Just give them time to become accustomed to each other.
    I still can't figure out why anyone would have rabbits in the house and not have them neutered! They are so much happier and make much better pets when desexed but that's jmo. [​IMG]

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Blind date, a light champagne mixer....I don't know, I give up? How do you introduce bunnies? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you mean for breeding, you will take the doe into the buck's cage for the deed. Not advisable to have bunnies living in the same cage except for the brief copulation period. Very brief..... [​IMG]

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    Go to House Rabbit Society's website http://www.rabbit.org/

They
    have articles on how to bond rabbits. I have had plenty of bonded rabbits over the years. Not all rabbits need a buddy but some really do like having one. Make sure both rabbits are spayed/neutered.

9. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i keep all my females together in 3 large hutches/runs and have never had any probs. they r all breedable and different ages but if done right they can be kept together. my males r all seperated and does stay seperated till after kits r weened before going back in with herd pens. my females r always taken to the males to breed then pened by themselves.

10. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I am not that much of a rabbit expert but I would cage them side by side till they were familar with each other. If you are planning to breed them I would suggest this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by