1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How to introduce a 4 week old chick to a 5 month old flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smallbabybird, Aug 1, 2014.

1. smallbabybird

smallbabybird Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    My parents and I recently purchased 6 small chicks in May, I'd say they're maybe 4-5 months old now, and nearly full size! They're currently in a coop outside. Although, just yesterday we purchased a little silkie chick! The seller said she was 3 months old, but she looks quite small, and I'm not sure that's true. She's maybe 1/4 the size of our other chickens, and we're currently quarantining her, but she's so lonesome! We can't let her out in the enclosed space outside with the other chickens, because they seem too aggressive for her size, she's really defenseless. We have to keep her in a large kennel with her food and water all day that has bedding in the bottom, but she really wants to be with the other chickens, my mom doesn't want another little baby, but I really think she needs a friend in there because she's constantly peeping when she's in that kennel all by herself.. I feel so bad for her. I've taken her out for a full six hours today outside of the enclosure, just to let her scratch around and see the other chickens through the fence. My mom won't let me baby her inside, even though I know she needs attention!! I really want to see if there's any solution to this or if we need another silkie from the seller! I just don't want her to be so upset and stressed all the time, she's such a sweet little chicken. I don't know what to do! Could anyone help?
    Here's the little silkie, Sugar:
    [​IMG]
    She's only as tall as the other chickens' legs alone!
    I just want her to be happy.

2. hxgumdrop

hxgumdrop Chirping

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    Silkies are teeny tiny mine are fully grown and the same size as yours just more fluff! she will get too lonely on her own chickens are very social creatures. she will be fine in with the other hens, she will learn to stand up for herself and will fit into the pecking order in no time. just pop her onto the roost when the other hens have settled down for the night and all will be fine :)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would not suggest putting her in with the other chickens without some serious integration plans....they could kill her.

Read up on integration, there are lots of different situations and techniques to achieve integration.
    Reading other folks' experiences can glean many tips and tricks that might work, or not, for your situation.
    ..... advanced search>titles only>integration

Here's some basics to get you thinking:

Consider medical quarantine.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact. Integrating new birds of equal size works best.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places to hide out of line of sight and/or up and away from bully birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: